Which Motor -- GE vs A.O. Smith?

I need to replace my 1/4 HP 230v 1075 RPM outside condenser fan motor. The current motor is a FASCO, but I can't find a FASCO dealer near me who sells to the public.

I can get either a GE or an A.O. Smith replacement for about the same price.

Is one of these brands any better than the other.

-- Ken

Reply to
Ken Hall

Kevin

So.... what do you like.... Chevys??? Fords??

Reply to
Noon-Air

BER, while a useful end-to-end metric of a signal, is NOT the appropriate measurement to be making here - modulation fidelity is. Yes - a high BER will cause your signal to fall on its face. But what causes a high BER? It is the radio's inability to distinguish between symbols. And what is the measurement of how "hard" symbols are to distinguish? Modulation fidelity. You will see pretty much the same BER for a 10% modulation fidelity error as you will for a 0.7% error, but if you see a 10% MFE you can know the system is NOT performing well - you have lost most of your margin for decode, and any increase at all in the distortion of the signal will start causing errors.

Think of it as the difference between SINAD and intelligibility - you can have a 20 dB SINAD or a 12 dB SINAD, and still understand what the other guy is saying 100% - but if you are at a 12 dB SINAD coming out of the repeater, any additional noise is going to start causing a whole lot of "What did you say? Say again?" traffic.

The advantage of regenerating the digital signal, even if you don't apply the forward error correction at that point, is that you can go from a 10% MFE to a 0.7% MFE, and thus improve the odds of correctly decoding the signal.

AND, if you then apply the FEC to the signal, you can further clean it up, so that you can once again pick up bit errors without the radio being unable to decode.

From MOL Astro25 Readme file:

New Radio Features Supported: ============================= NOTE: Firmware version R08.00.00 or greater is required for all features

-Quik Call II Encode/Decode

-DTMF Encode/Decode

-In-Call Alert Operation for ASTRO, MDC, QCII, DTMF and Trunking

-'Failsoft Connect Tone'

-MDC Emergency Alarm Indication

-Smart Rugged Battery for the XTS 2500 and XTS 1500 radios

-Rotary Switch Lock for Channels

-Scan Lists have been increased to a maximum of 64

New CPS features supported: ===========================

- The CPS is now capable of upgrading the PR 1500 and the MT 1500 radios using FLASHport.

- The CPS is now capable of upgrading from rebanded XTS models to the traditional APCO 25 capable XTS models using FLASHport. An XTS 1500 RB model can be upgraded to a traditional XTS 1500 model and an XTS 2500 RB model can be upgraded to a traditional XTS 2500 model. Please note that a new FLASHkey will be needed for this operation.

-Please note that new field 'Failsoft Connect Tone' can only be Advance System Key protected if 'Connect Tone' is also protected. Specific protection just for this field is not supported.

Looks like that's it.

Reply to
Mo Hoaner

I take that to mean there's no meaningful difference?

-- Ken

Reply to
Ken Hall

not much other than personal preference. Mine is GE, there are some on here that prefer Baldor, others just want as cheap as they can get.

Reply to
Noon-Air

As to appliance parts, my parts counter guys call them "generally expensive". I'd take the AO, just based on that.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you said.

-- Ken

Reply to
Ken Hall

Have you ever made a decision on your own or does your "boss" and your "parts counter guy" always make them for you? Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

I kinda like the closest..that way I don't have to drive far

Reply to
daytona

Christ, lure us on.

Reply to
~^Johnny^~

You like Huffy? :-)

Reply to
~^Johnny^~

If you had been in teh business for any length of time, you'd know they were referred to as "Generally Defective".

And "Westinghouse" was often referred to as "Worstinghouse". Of that, you can be sure. :-)

Reply to
~^Johnny^~

General Electric repair parts cost more than other brands of parts. Regardless of what the part is, a GE part costs more than a similar part in Whirlpool, Kenmore, or some other brand.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

As I recall, the GE motor division was 'acquired' by Regal-Beloit Corp. ~2004. They've been pushing this ECM crap ever since, and have established a large manufacturing presence in India and China. Not surprising, I guess.

A.O manufactures a lot of their motors in... I think... Ohio... and Mexico. They are, for the most part, built to cheap OEM specs. A A.O. would work fine, but it won't last 5 years, IMO.

On a outdoor unit, I'd put a Baldor BB motor there.

Here's the way to find a motor. Go to

This is a NEMA reference chart. You are probably looking for a 48 or 56 frame. When that's figured out (by measuring), then examine shaft length and the size of the keyways.

You'll find that Baldor makes a motor for just about any application.

Or... you can pay a contractor to find one for you.

Jake

Reply to
Jake

Mo Hoaner posted for all of us...

Stay out of my trunked system

Reply to
Tekkie®

I think your SYSID interval is too high...

Maybe that's on EDACS, though.

Jake

Reply to
Jake

Well, I figured the O.P. had as much use for that info, as any possible answer to his original question. I was was right, as he actually admitted "I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you said" after someone gave him a perfectly reasonable answer.

What I don't understand is why he asked his original question about motors when is actually dealing with a defective thermostat. What's even better is he's sitting in 91 degree, 75% percent humidity weather (HGX, Sunday, and he probably went "shopping" Monday morning) with no AC looking for someone else to flip a coin as to which is better to buy from - India, or Mexico.

I wonder why he thinks he needs to go motor shopping? I guess it's because he hears no noise when goes outside. See.... If you had that real expensive digital thermostat option, you might figure out that you forgot to pay the electric bill. But, then, most of them Ho Moaner stats have batteries, so that might not help much either. (Gee, the display still works, so the power MUST be on!)

Reply to
Mo Hoaner

i got a call last year to a local ice skating rink (ammonia system). their cooling tower was going through GE fan motors every 3-4 months and for some reason nobody could figure out why. they had reached the conclusion that "GE was junk". 10 minutes later i found the real problem......they were using vented motors on a cooling tower. i wrestled a sealed dayton up the ladder (well over 100 pound motor) and all has been well ever since. in general however, i do agree that GE motors are not my first choice.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier