Weil-McLain Ultra install

Anyone else install these Ultra boilers? Interest but I gotta admit........for the money, the quality isnt the greatest. The pros are: Hopefully efficiency and lowered operating cost.
The cons are: Price, very expensive boiler. Uses primary/secondary piping using 2 pumps and more piping and valves The temp/press gauge on the front looks like something that belongs on the instrument panel of one of those 12 volt power wheels vehicles. Cheap, cheap, cheap. The layout of that million dollar ultra control module microprocessor and power supply are right on the top of the unit. Guess where water goes when you have a leak on the boiler at the return or supply connection? You guessed it. The power supply and microprocessor sit right in a puddle of water. The remainder runs out some holes and down into the bottom of the unit where it collects like a mini swimming pool. All the electrical connections are at the very back/top of the unit making it very hard to access. This boiler can be mounted directly on the wall. It makes for a lot of fun with the 3" pvc pipes in the way. Then we found that the supply stub up out of the boiler came pre-bent so the piping leans forward. It can't be straightened. Its a pre-formed assembly. The front plastic resin door had to be beat and kicked forcefully to get it back on. Other than that, it all worked well and the buttons and operations are kinda techy. They really have a long way to go on the control layout. Pics available. Bubba
Add pictures here
✖
I do.. Pricey...but damn well worth it Especially when you couple it with an Ultra Plus Potable hot water heater Have single, tandem and triple installations...Apartment building owners love them....definitely drops the gas bill and usage. A little steep for residences. But still worth it...when you can only get 82 - 84% AFUE on other boilers...

Add pictures here
✖
For my client's money we'll install a Buderus GB142. If you happen to get The News my son is pictured tuning one.

Cats are easier to train than kids!

Add pictures here
✖
Have you done an Buderus' with DHW additions?
Add pictures here
✖
Yes, and we have one to start next week. That one is a G115 boiler though instead of the GB142.

Cats are easier to train than kids!

Add pictures here
✖
I like the add on DHW addition....that saves alot of utility

Add pictures here
✖
To tell the truth I can't remember the last time we installed a boiler in a new home or did a retrofit w/o installing an indirect water heater.

Cats are easier to train than kids!

Add pictures here
✖

If you're asking me.......No. I havent ever seen a Buderus in this area. Matter a fact, Ive not seen any boilers in this area that are used to heat domestic hot water. That same boiler job, one week earlier, I just installed a 75 gal gas water heater (75Kbtu) to replace the two twinned 40 gal gas water heaters (32K each). Nothing wrong with them. The owner was just trying to "simplify"?? things so he only wanted one water heater. I guess it might have been a good fit for a DHW setup? I havent done the cost/savings comparisons on that kind of setup. Bubba
Add pictures here
✖
There aren't any initial cost savings, but the standby loss on an indirect fired water heater can be as low as 0.25ºF/hr. So there are significant energy savings plus generally more DHW. Especially if you prioritize the DHW production.

Cats are easier to train than kids!

Add pictures here
✖
WOW...(2) 40's to a (1) 75.....alot of wasted gas. Possibly a suggestion of an instantaneous wall mounted hot water heater. Bubba ... is this an apt building or residence?

Add pictures here
✖
Wasted gas? Possibly. However, when he wants to fill his huge Jacuzzi tub and half way through he gets cold water, you explain it to him. He's the one that decided he wanted to trash two perfectly good working 40 gal water heaters with a 75 gal for the sake of "simplicity?" Who am I to argue? His home used to be a 4 family and it is now a single family residence. He also has more money than you or I will ever see. Has a band. Just got off of tour last week from Europe. He is completly re-doing his house and basically doesnt ask price. You dont find those kind too often so I'll give him whatever the hell he wants. :-) Bubba

✖
I'm not trying to sell YOU anything....but I had the same problem with a DR with 5 kids....(2) 50 gal tanks and 3 of the bathrooms had whirlpool tubs (or Jacuzzi's) what ever you want to call them. We took out the HWT's and install (1) large instantaneous wall mounted hot water heater. Turned on the hot water and had 132° at each faucet on at the same time.....hot water until you shut the faucets off.....never run out I liked so much I put one in my house (2) people....installed 4-1-02...that summer got nothing but credits for gas bills and I have seen a great saving in the gas bill. The tank doesn't have to sit there on go on and off to maintenance tank temp

Add pictures here
✖
Not a prob. Whats even funnier is that people want what they want. Who am I to disagree :-) A 75 gallon 75K heater has 1 inch fittings on the top. They immediately get reduced to 3/4 since thats all that's throughout the house. So immediately, the heater can't even produce what its capable of. I noticed the water meter to the house is only 1/2 inch. The guy also is big on searching the net so he found this http://www.autocirc.com/act303.htm that he thinks he wants us to install. Im happy to give him whatever the heck he wants. :-) I am interested in your water heater. Im guessing you have gas? What model of instantenous did you go with. There seems to be a very few in this area. I get a lot of questions about them but it just doesnt seem to have caught on. Id appreciate your experience with them. Ive got 4 women in this house.........5 if you count the freakin dog. No gas bill going to get reduced here with the amount of showers and clothes washing that happen here. Bubba

✖
To start with I have an HVAC&R business....and it all started years ago when 40 gal HWT's were about 108.00 each. I would replace then for customers only. Because we are not plumbers....let tot he plumbers, but as a courtesy to the customers and it always seemed when it was slow, we would get a HWT call....so who's to turn down money. Since the tanks and price of installation has skyrocketed we have stopped. But on certain occasions we will convert the customer to wall hung. Mine is an Bosch AquaStar unit....I am not really keen on them. We have been using Noritz and have been getting great service (no call backs). But did learn to install ball valves and hose bibs to enable (acid) cleaning. We run LimeAway through the HWT to keep the build up (if any) inside the coil of the heater. It is an endless supply of hot water. The size of the unit depends on the number of hot water using appliances the customer wants to run at the same time. (water flow through the unit) Mine can only do 4.0 gal per minute....other do more and ALOT do less. I can shower while the dishwasher is doing its thing along with the clothes washer is on. Hope this helps some
I am located in the SW portion of PA...just east of Pittsburgh

Add pictures here
✖
Mine started when I was born..............hehe. J/K "I heard that" about the prices of the water heaters. Most people think they got a furnace installed when I give them the bill for the water heater. Then I usually install a new ball valve, expansion tank, new flue pipe and make the gas line look like a real gas line. Most I see run crooked with a flex line, copper and a various assortment of brass, black iron and galvanized fittings. A lot of times I sell them a press red valve for the house. Check the water pressure and find they have 120psi. Thats a wee bit much if you want a tank to last. I dont really do a lot of water heaters as we arent "licensed plumbers" but I wont turn the work down. Especially since I can install one better than any plumber around. They havent a clue on the proper venting of one and if its a power vent heater, they wont do any service work on them.................go figure. I'll look up the Noritz and see how those fair. Thanks Bubba

✖

The first one I put in Steve gave me some great advice and cost saving suggestions, too which I'm still grateful for. The boiler worked perfectly,
Rich
Add pictures here
✖