water heater leaking!

Page 2 of 2
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Correction:

So even the contractor "cheepy" outlasted the 9-year warranty that your premium tank offers.

When we're talking about warranty and water heater, we're largely talking about the fact that it's a pressure vessel and it can fail by leaking. Other small differences (brass or plastic drain, anodes, turbulators) really don't factor into differences in cost when looking at 6 yr vs 9 yr warranties.
My heater is a GE "Smart Water" model GG40S06CVG, 36000 btu, plastic drain, brass hi-pressure vent/valve. I think it has a turbulator. There isin't much on the web about that model. I'm sure it's 6 years old by now.

The diff between 9 yr and 6 yr is inconsequential to me, and so is the 4K difference in BTU, so as far as I'm concerned you paid $92 extra for a brass drain valve and an extra anode (maybe - have no clue how many I have).
Would I pay $92 for a brass drain valve and an extra annode? Probably not.
Would I pay an extra $1000 for dual exhaust, power windows, FM radio with 8-track and air conditioning in the Impala vs Chevelle? Maybe.

For a stationary object that lives it's life without interaction (or even visibility) with people and can typically provide service for 10 to 20 years, I dare you to explain how anyone outside of the manufacturing and service industry can possibly have any idea how to appraise the VALUE of something like a water heater when browsing the various models in a retail setting like Home Despot, expecially when elements of it's construction that have a direct impact on service life (the pressure vessel itself) is not visible without significant disassembly or deconstruction of the item.

And it's been well established that these "cheap" heaters can routinely outlast their minimal 6-year warranty by a factor of 2 or more.
Your $92 is largely to finance the extra 3 years of waranty coverage - a winning proposition by the manufacturer because I'm sure the statistics would show that if a unit has lasted 6 years in the field without failing then the odds of it continuing for an additional 3 years is extremely high.
Tony Hwang wrote:

After years of consumer experience, you should have learned by now that selling extra warranty coverage is highly profitable for the manufacturer or retailer no matter what product we're talking about (cars, electronics, water heaters, etc).
On Thu, 22 May 2014 09:22:41 -0400, HomeGuy

I don't buy a warranty - I buy a water heater. And any GOOD product will outlast it's warranty. And any heater with 2 anodes will cost more than one with 1 or none - a brass valve will cost more than plastic

Will it still be working and not leaking 18 years from now??? Mine very likely will, and it's already 3 years old. Like I said before - I don't buy a warranty - I buy a quality water heater. The quality water heater just happens to also have a longer warranty.

And I didn't buy an "extra warranty"
You are free to buy the cheapest junk you can find. I prefer to buy quality.
"The bad taste of low quality lasts long after the sweet taste of low price has faded from the palate."
"It is almost always more expensive to pay too little for something than to pay too much"

Where in the referenced article does it say:
1) that the homeowner did the replacement, or 2) that the insurance company didn't cover the loss?

A seismic valve would be a lot safer -but no help at all if the lines outside fracture.

You'll need to provide citations. It doesn't happen in California, I can't speak for NY.