Unexpectedly cold rooms in zone-valved big house

Howdy, all!

My 83-year old father is worked up (and my mother not worked up but cold) about parts of his almost 100-year old house in a Philadelphia suburb remaining unexpectedly cold.

History: The original system is almost 100 years old, now with a 15-year old large natural gas large furnace. Long ago (>20 years ago) the original circulator motor burned out at an inconvenient time. Told that many systems in older houses could run by convection (or gravity feed?), we tried that for a day and (by jiminy) it worked--the response time for a room to heat was not discernibly different than with a functioning circulator pump. So the system was left that way (with the circulator motor path out of the circulation loop).

>Flash forward 20 yearsPresent
Reply to
David Wood

Smart man...

Ya think?

...go over the complete system, replace the incorrect parts, correct any other issues and schedule a tune-up!

Reply to
<kjpro

Reply to
Steve Scott

Ya......I can just see the gales of laughter when THIS f****ng call comes in.

Reply to
B-Hate-Me

What? You dont have an impedence tester for hot water systems? Why I was just doing this yesterday .....................with my "flux capacitor". :-)

Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

I use a flow meter..