Trane Furnace Error

We have a three year old Trane 80% model that has a queer problem. Every so often I will notice that the house feels cold. I check the stat and it is calling for heat with a several degree gap between the temp and the setting.
I can go to the furnace and the following sequence is occurring. The stat will signal for heat. The igniter will glow up, the burners will light and then they will almost immediately go back off and I will get an error code LED sequence that indicates "Flame detected when not expected".
Here's the queer part. Even though the burner area is nearly immaculate, I can take a rag, duster, or air blower and clean it some more (removing nothing as far as I can tell). Afterwards, everything fires up and works fine (until the next time). This happens perhaps every month or two.
There is some sort of probe positioned in the burner area on the left side and it seems like it is cleaning in that area that solves the problem, but I swear there is nothing there before I clean of any significance. Is there something about that probe where the slightest bit of fluff would cause this to happen? Is it perhaps positioned incorrectly such that it is being hypersensitive to something?
TIA
remove it and clean it with steel wool

daytona wrote:

Thanks, I'll give that a try. Of course the symptom pattern is such that I wouldn't know for sure if that helped for a least a few months.
On Sun, 07 Jan 2007 16:31:18 GMT, "Rick Brandt"

good quality digital programmable type. Make sure you replace the low voltage wiring from the furnace to the stat. The wiring can get out of sync and the electron flow wont match the system. After that, you might wish to acquire a FameSensor@Booster. This should alleviate the "queer" problem. Bubba

My 12-guage Mossberg solved a similar problem with the next-door neighbors several years ago.
Every so

You need to get that fucker looked at and fixed.