Stick braze silver types

The Johnstone catalog says the 15% silver has about the same melting temps as the 1 to 2%. I don't know if I believe that. I used to braze with mapp gas and the 15% stuff. But, tonight I just couldn't get the map gas flame to heat the fitting hot enough.
Has anyone tried both, and is there a real difference? I'm tempted to go buy a pack of the 15% stuff, save me having to haul out my acetylene torch. On the other hand, I braze about twice a year, and for that once or twice I can use acetylene. When I did get the acetylene out, it did a nice job.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

All I carry on the truck is oxy-acetylene, 15% Silphos, and 45% silver.
On 9/13/2010 10:42 PM, Steve wrote:

Me too, the 45% is the only thing to use to install steel service valves to copper lines. I use the rods that have a blue flux coating. Some of the guys are using a low temp silver alloy solder to hook up condensers and evaporators. It's a lot like the no lead plumbing solder with a different flux. I'll stick(no pun) with the high temp stuff.
TDD
I've never had any success, brazing to steel. Maybe need the higher silver content.
My last job, we used to use Sta-Brite low temp stuff on new copper. When it's a tight fit, and brand new copper, that works well. I was doing installs of new AC, often installing AC on top of a furnace that didn't have AC before that day.
The stick braze works well, if there's bigger voids to fill. Or, if it's old copper. Also, ataching a cap tube to the end of a piece of copper tubing, nothing like stick braze.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

How can you do HVAC service and braze twice a year?? Some times I braze severl times a day, minimaly once a week, and I don't do as much service as I used to. Greg O.
Where I am, the economy is nearly dead. I've got a maybe nibble for a compressor replacement. Oriental restaurant, with a prep table that warmed up. Other than that, there's no work in sight.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Its not the economy, the word is out on you. Even in Michigan we are swamped with work.
On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 18:14:07 -0400, The King

    And covered with a TARP to keep the rain out :-)
www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

14-1/2 hours yesterday.
Today looks the same.
Do the math........
--
"Every living thing out there that walks, flies or squats in the
mud, wants to kill you and eat your eyes for Ju-Ju B's"