Rheem Classic 90 Plus Problem

Page 2 of 2
DANgER ( snipped-for-privacy@heat.com) wrote

Ever seen a York hi efficiency??? You are in the trade, right???
--
Respectfully, Bob

I guess you don't notice two isolated thoughts.
1) Four inch pipe is over size for an eight foot run 2) Snow clogged pipes can shut down a 90 percenter.
Points 1 and 2 are only somewhat interrelated.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

It is nice to see that some of the personnel here are actually trying to help with the problem and not letting their egos or petty infighting get in their way. To summarise what I have heard so far: 1. Inlet pipe should preferably be a constant diameter and in this case for an 8 foot run a 2 1/2" pipe should suffice and putting a 90 degree elbow to have the opening angled down may help. 2. Possibly a pressure switch problem - switch has been checked and I am told it is fine. 3. Possible grounding problem - furnace is properly grounded and all connections are good. 4. Just for clarification there is a drain tube on the inlet and there is a water filled trap in the hose. I assume this hose it to get rid of any unwanted moisture before it gets into the furnace. I was asked if I was using natural gas or propane and the answer is propane. It was suggested that this may be part of the problem and on reflection it seems that the furnace has only been shutting down on the coldest nights. Would -20 degrees F have that much of an effect on the flow of propane?
If memory serves, the boiling point of propane is -44.
http://www.flameengineering.com/Propane_Info.html
So, it is very possible that the low temperatures are preventing your furnace from operating. Certainly, they are lowering the pressure of the propane in the tank. Now, the question is how to keep the tank warmer.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Thanks for the repair manual you typed in. Guess you missed what I meant. I'll try it again, and this time I'll type REAL SLOW:
w h a t a w a s t e o f o v e r s i z e i n s t a l l a t i o n m a t e r i a l s w h e n s m a l l e r m a t e r i a l s w o u l d h a v e w o r k e d j u s t f i n e.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

No mention to this post that you stated it was a waste of materials, if you posted it in another post it did not come through on my end.
Rich

RGRH-09 furnace requires 3 inch sched 40 PVC pipe, with a minimum 1/4 inch slope towards the furnace on horizontal pipe. This venting requirement applies up to 45ft pipe length with 5-6 elbows (45 or 90 degree long radius). Terminate the vent pipe in accordance with the installation manual to prevent snow from blocking the vent pipes.
Have the gas company check the lines and regulator from the propane tank to the furnace for water, proper drip legs, and regulator operation.