Refrigerator not working again

Page 13 of 16
Perhaps, once he has determined that the solution is beyond his ability, of course. Don't be bustin his ass because he's making that effort. Furthermore, we in this group HELP, unlike those responders at alt.hvac Steve

Well, here's a little update.
After 36 hours of sitting without power, the fridge would not start, the compressor motor buzzes and shuts off in 20 seconds or so.
So, presumptively, the compressor is seized. I want to know how much would it cost to replace it, by a fridge repair professional of course.
Thanks

Iggy, if you have ever listened to my advice, take this one:
Toss it and get another, either used or new. You can get a used one for what the compressor will cost, and all the system is as old as the compressor, and next month it will be a coil, or a whizzit that might fry your new compressor. They only have 30-90 day warranties (replace, but you pay labor , translated, HOW MUCH YOU GOT) You'll get a better deal on the new one.
I went through what you went through three times. I would NEVER EVER have a refrigerator rebuilt. Others have had different experiences, I'm just telling you what I would do at MY house in the same circumstances. Once the word "compressor" comes into the conversation, it changes everything, like "pregnant" or "STD". Cut your losses, get another, and use all this time doing you are now wasting doing something constructive. If you had done this three days ago, this would almost be a memory right now.
Guys who do appliance repair are either talented individuals who understand complex systems with lots of controls, or are the ones who couldn't make it in HVAC school. And to fail HVAC school is comparable to failing a urinalysis. They're both that easy.
Steve

I like your examples of "changes everything" words.
I think that I will do what you say, I will get a new fridge.

both may have the same udnerlying reason too.
On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 09:29:16 -0500, Ignoramus30441 wrote:

I would probably charge you $1000. no tax.
Last couple compressors I changed, ran $300 to $400.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I can't help it if you don't charge enough.
That's the alt havoc advice I know and love.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

You're not supposed to count work done for wives, relatives, or concubines. Were they dorm fridge compressors, or 15 ton three phase?
Steve
Household full size refrigerators. Not relatives, and I've got very few concubines, or wives. Couldn't have any fewer, actually. 1/4 plus, or 1/3 HP. Did a 10k BTU AC compressor a couple weeks ago. I suggested to get another whole unit from Walmart, but he aparently liked this one.
Largest I've done has been a 2 HP for a walk in cooler.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On 9/25/2010 6:58 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I think the largest freezer I ever worked on belonged to a bakery and it was the size of a basketball court. Forklift doors and 20' high pallet racks were in that darn thing. It was a lot of fun getting way up in the air to work on the multiple evaporators. Believe it or not, it's easier to work on than a little freezer, you can get to every part.
TDD
Yes, I can imagine that being easier to work on. One of my regular gas and go customers has a walk in refrigerator. Naturally, it leaks at the nut for the TXV. The folks who designed the cooler allowed about two inches from the end of the evap to the wall. I get to tighten the nut while standing on crates of soda pop, and balancing a miror, wrench, minimag, and trying to not fall.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

If the job was easy, anyone could do it! ;-)
I would have traded you jobs back in the '70s when I had to stand inside TV transmitter in full operation to adjust the interstage coupling. Nothing like standing on a 3 KV power supply with a fault current in excess of 10KA while bending the wire loops with a piece of nylon rod. :(
enough left over to pay them.
A locksmith I used to know. Says "You can do the job, and they can't. That's why they call you. And you got to charge em for it."
That nylon rod bit sounds like you want to be careful what you're doing.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

that goes something like this:
A person has an expensive piece of electronics equipment that is not working correctly. He calls the repair center and the next day a repairman shows up. He looks at the symptoms, removes the back cover, gets out a screwdriver and makes an adjustment inside. The equipment works perfectly again. He submits the bill:
Repair expensive electronic equipment. Total $100.
The customer shouts, "That is outrageous! All you did is make an adjustment inside." The repairman takes back the bill and writes a new one:
Adjust expensive electronic equipment $1, Knowing what to adjust $99, Total $100,
David
Some decades ago, I heard the same joke. But it was a steam locomotive, and two taps for buck each. Knowing, $998.
A locksmith I knew. Got a rush call to open a car, guy had to be to the airport. Having opened several of those, the locksmith knew which tool, how far into the window, and in which direction to go. As he was reaching into the car to recover the keys, the guy hollered. "Forty bucks! I'm not going to pay you forty bucks... for.... THAT!!!"
Locksmith threw the keys back in, and started to walk off. After some begging, the locksmith relented, and opened the car a second time. Now, the bill is up to $80. Me, I am not that heartless.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 17:45:23 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I once had a girlfriend who had custody of a 16-year old kid, whose dad bought him a brand-new pickup truck, as an abseentee parent bribe or whatever. He locked his keys in it. We called a locksmith, who was an off-duty cop, and went out to watch him pick the lock. The guy was poking around and poking around, and we kind of got lost in conversation; we had wanted to see him pick the lock. Well, after about 10 minutes of this, we were all thoroughly distracted, he said, "Well, it doesn't seem to be working here - let me try the other side." Before any of us clued up and thought to chase him to the other side of the truck, he had the lock picked in about three seconds.
I was rather saddened that I didn't get to see how it was done. )-;
Thanks, Rich
It's very possible he was picking for real on both sides. Sometimes one lock will open, and the other won't.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Rich Grise wrote:

Didja ever think that maybe the other side was UNlocked already? <G>
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
jeff_wisnia wrote:

Did you hear the one about the HVAC tech that locked his keys in his car? His family was in it, but luckily the convertible top was down so he could feed them until the locksmith arrived. ;-)
enough left over to pay them.