Question on Heat Pump utility closet

Page 1 of 2
I live on the 4th floor of a condo with a 20 year Carrier 50Qt through the wall electric heat pump. There is a louvered door to the closet. The problem is that the closet is real drafty - cold air leaks into the living room right through the louvered door. I've tried to seal around the wall sleeve as much as I can inside the closet, but I'm wondering if I can replace the louvered door with a regular door or cover the bottom louvers and put a draft stopper to keep the drafts in the closet and keep the cold from leaking in. If I did this would I be affecting the performance of the heat pump? Am I not considering return-air? There is a filter at the bottom of the heat pump that I replace on a monthly basis. There are no other appliances in this closet.
Thanks in advance.
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 19:15:15 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Seeing as how the 20 yo heat pump is in fact 20 yo, it will affect effiency more than a drafty closet you daft knob. You're welcome.
I am the real ftwhd and I approve this message.
Add pictures here
✖
On Nov 13, 9:30 am, ftwhd wrote:

I realize its 20 years old and is not efficient to what a new one can do; but I also can't afford at this time right now a new system; so if someone can just reply about the closet door that would be great.
Thanks
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 09:42:13 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@bso.org wrote:

Ignore the other "ftwhd" he is a trolling forging pussy.
From your description it sounds like the return air is pulled through the closet door. If that is the case, blocking it off would not be a good idea. The cold air is probably coming through the unit coil as opposed to around the sleave. There's not much I or anyone can suggest without seeing it.
Add pictures here
✖

Um, me believes that you are a morphing troll.
I am the real ftwhd and I approve this message.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@bso.org wrote:

That louvered door allows combustion air to enter the furnace. Don't dick with it.
Add pictures here
✖

Combustion air on a heat pump?
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

Is it possible that Heat pump has a gas furnace for very cold weather> A condo usually has a Air to air Heat pump. This guy does live in the Boston area. Not exactly the tropics in the winter.
Add pictures here
✖

Yeah and not exactly prime heat pump territory.
Add pictures here
✖
Don Ocean wrote:

A 50QT is a package unit - Carrier, not a gas fired heater.
--
Zyp

Add pictures here
✖
Zyp wrote:

What is the backup heat? power strips? It surely doesn't depend on air to air Heat pump alone?

Add pictures here
✖
Don Ocean wrote:

Hopefully the contractor bought the accessory strip heat kit..... :) but I doubt it.
--
Zyp

Add pictures here
✖

That's what happens when the heat strips short out dummy.
I am the real ftwhd and I approve this message.
Add pictures here
✖

Get an electrician to check your shorts :-)
Add pictures here
✖

✖

I don't know who is forging whom....... and I don't care. I don't play those kinds of games.
Add pictures here
✖

Heres a hint. Im not forging myself so just be sure your talking to me when you reply otherwise ill just assume you are a moron.

Cop out.
Add pictures here
✖

no cop out, just plain truth
Whithout going and searching headers and all that crap, how am I supposed to know if its you or not?? Like I said... I just don't care enough to play those games.
Add pictures here
✖
Don Ocean wrote:

Whoops, I didn't read that in total. Leave the door alone as it is probably your cold air return. No combustion there unless you have a Gas furnace to back up that Heat pump in very cold weather. If so that could be combustion air.
Add pictures here
✖

You were starting to worry me, I thought dementia was setting in. :)
Add pictures here
✖