Please help settle an argument

In a properly working and operating A/C system, is the return line temperature warmer than the ambient air temp?
TIA
Sam wrote:

We usually refer to the "Ambient Temperature" as being the "Outdoor Temperature." If you are referring to the "Indoor Temperature" then it would depend on the location of the Return Air Register(s), and how well the air is being mixed in the rooms. If the air is stratified, then the air at the floor level would be colder & with Return(s) at the ceiling the air would be warmer than the mid-point air temp in the rooms. Also, there will probably be a variation between rooms; therefore your question has no known correct answer from here! - udarrell
--
PROPER A/C UNIT & DUCTWORK Sizing is over 70% of Operating Efficiency
http://www.udarrell.com/proper_cfm_btuh_duct_sizing_air_conditioning_systems.html

In a properly working and operating A/C system, is the return line temperature warmer than the ambient air temp?
NO.
Gr. Jan http://airco.startpagina.nl http://koeltechniek.startpagina.nl

It should have ice on it. That how you know its working real good Bubba
But I don't like my beer with ice on it.

Thank you for encouraging my behavior.

I really WANT moisture condensing and dripping into the wall / joist / ceiling cavity...wherever the lineset is routed...

Steve Scott wrote:

heh by the time a person backpacks his butt up to the 9,000 ft elevation in the Sierra Mtns, beer with a little ice sounds pretty damn good !
http://www.ghosttownexplorers.org/california/maylundy/maylundy.htm
The return line should be colder than the ambient. Which helps cool the compressor.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.