Please give me your advice on picking the right cooling thing for Kansas City climate

Hi folks,
Somebody in the Survivor newsgroup posted that I should post my posting in alt.hvac because some of you would be expert in the problem that I am trying to solve.
I am living near KC and last summer I did sweat a lot. My wife says KC area makes anybody feel like in menopause.
Perhaps you can give me a tip what to do or what you would do to handle this feeling. I showed last summer and 5 minutes later, I still felt as if I had showed but didn't dry myself with something but dressed on a still wet body.
When I lived in Nevada, I had none of these problems. It was 100 F, and no drop sweat on me.
I don't want to sweat all summer and I am thinking of getting an air condition. I would like a portable one that I can take with me from room to room. I checked at Walmart and they had one for 340 bucks! Good grief!
My windows have funny sizes, I did not find an air condition that would fit directly, either too small or too large.
I found some portable coolers and portable air conditioners online. First of all, what is the difference between a cooler and an air conditioner?
And is there one that you would recommend?
Any other idea of staying cool and dry in a Kansas City summer?
Thanks in advance,
Gene.
Perhaps I should add that I just want to cool one room in my house. I would have picked a cooler but somebody adviced me that this is not a good idea for the humid climate in Kansas City.
Your serious advice is very appreciated
Gene
I don't know of anybody on here that does window shakers other than stormin moron, and he doesn't have the common sense that GOD gave a brass door knob. THe way I see it, you have 2 choices, either pay a couple of hundred(maybe) for a 1 room windoe shaker, or have a central system installed. Either way, nobody can *SEE* it through the computer screen....best you call you local *COMPETENT*, licensed, insured, professionally trained, HVAC professional to come assess your needs. No its not gonna be free.

Noon-Air wrote:

Or a tube of Right Guard?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On May 15, 1:25pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

You might consider a ductless mini split heatpump. Will cost a lot more than a window unit though. Rodney