Need advice

Page 1 of 2
The A/C unit on my travel trailer had quit. I took the cover off and all of the fans are running but not the compressor. No hum, no vibration, no warmth. Maybe the compressor is gone but what should I check to make sure it is not an electrical problem. I do not want to spend $500.00 to replace it when $5.00 will repair it. I await your answers with an ohm meter in one hand and a phillips screwdriver in the other.

Yellow pages?

No HVAC company will look at it and RV places want to replace the whole unit. That is why I'm asking questions on what to check out on the unit.

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 18:44:19 GMT, "David Moffitt"

the ohm meter and phillips screwdriver. I dont believe your story. For money, most companies will look at most anything. You just didnt call enough/any places and/or you didnt like the price they told you. A/C is a luxury and you have to pay to get it fixed. Otherwise, SWEAT! Bubba (.......and no, no one pissed in my beer today)

Do you repair AC units on travel trailers?
For money, most companies will look at most

I didn't need to pay $100.00 service call fee to be told the compressor was not running.

It must have been pissed in yesterday. OTOH thanks for the help.
On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 22:01:42 GMT, "David Moffitt"

Ive been known to do repairs on all sorts of stuff. Not all my cup of tea but sometimes you gotta do what pays the bills.

Why would you do that. IF you pay a tech you should get a diagnosis. It might not be a step by step "how to" but he should be able to tell you what needs to be fixed/replaced for a service call fee.

Yur welcome Bubba

Remove the wires from the compressor, labeling them as you remove them. Then with your ohm meter look for resistance between the three points of connection C-R, C-S, S-R If any one or more show open windings, your compressor is toast. If all three ohm out showing most any resistance, its most likely not the compressor. Trace the wiring back to the compressor run capacitor. Pull the wiring leads off & using your capacitance checker, check the capacitance of the capacitor. It should be stamped on it what its capacitance is.
Check back in after completing these steps.

If the wiring is burnt, be VERY careful that one on the pins don't come shooting out at you!!!!!!!!!!
As a safty, don't put any part of your body directly in front of the terminals when you pull the wires off.

All the terminals are nice and clean and the wire in good condition. The first thing I did was clean all connections in case corrosion was causing any poor connections. There wasn't any. Thanks.

Now that is what I needed to know! It's raining out so it will probably be tomorrow before I climb back up.

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 16:54:38 GMT, "David Moffitt"

points of connection C-R, C-S, S-R If any one or more show open windings, your compressor is toast. If all three ohm out showing most any resistance, its most likely not the compressor." Paul or any one want to comment on the second half of the above statement!!!!!!
Barry

I can get a new unit for $500.00 maybe less and I'm capable of changing it out. I prefer to repair the present unit money wise if possible.

I think everyone who reads this post, will make a comment (out loud or to themselves) on the second half of YOUR statement.
Another bad decision out of many bad decisions before it, no doubt? ;-)
"money wise" .... hmm. Poor people don't own campers. They use tents. Thousands of people sew, for every one that can repair HVAC.
OR,,, since you're emotionally attached to this thing:
Take it to a local HVAC trade school/learning center/high school/ wherever, and plead your ca$e. You'll probably be kicked out after insisting the parts don't cost THAT much and you could buy them cheaper over the Internet. ;o)
It will also present you with the fact that NO ONE can turn you into even just a lowly hack, let alone a real tech, over Usenet.
-zero

hey Barry, I'll give you a comment:
BLOW ME, asshole.
suggest you pull your head out of your ass and ponder "most any" and "most likely not"

That's what Paul would've said!!!!!!! :-)

Now that was a helpful comment.
I'll repair it and have repaired others....bring to the shop.....Pittsburgh, PA. It's cheaper than sending a tech on the road to you You can stay in the RV while your here and we fix it....it saves you a Trip Charge

Enjoying the car show?

I spent the last 5 days on Center Hill lake fishing.