how to tell if my heat pump is multi-stage or not?

Hi group!
I have a heat pump made by International Comfort Products Corp. The "brand" tag has been removed. The model is TCH036AKC1.
I have installed a programmable thermostat and don't know which setting to use: *Heat Pump: single-stage heat pump (no backup or auxiliary heat) *Multi-stage heat pump: heat pump with backup or auxiliary heating
Ideas on which option to choose? Thanks!!!
Courtney
On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 14:54:40 -0000, courtneyburge

Your welcome. So do you think we have a crystal ball or what? WTF kinda back up heat DO you have? Bubba
The question is ... how would I know? The former owner took all the paperwork pertaining to the system. Is there a way to tell or not?
How would we know??? You can't even tell us what kind of, or even IF you have back-up heat. We can't *see* it from here. Your local, competent, licensed, insured, professionally trained, HVAC technician can tell you exactly what you have and will probably have the correct thermostat for your system on his/her truck. While the tech is there, you may want to have the system checked and serviced.

Whoa, chill out HVAC-man.
You're right I can't tell you if I have back-up heat. THAT WAS MY QUESTION.
You're right you can't *see* it from here. But I can. So, what would I look for??? [Never mind, please don't answer. Clearly, one must go through a rigorous HVAC training regimen and learn the secret handshake before such knowledge can be conferred.]
I already have the correct thermostat for "my system". The thermostat works for many systems--it is a Honeywell RTH7000 series. I just don't know which setting I need to put it on.
Sorry I asked.
Have you aked the manufacturer??
Cheers
Richard

It has nothing to do with a "secret handshake" or any other such bullshit. Nobody can tell you what setting to put it on without knowing what the back-up heat is. Is it gas?? is it electric?? Does it even *HAVE* any back-up heat?? You have only given us HALF of the needed information to give you what you want. Get it???

T = Tempstar division of ICP, owned by UT.
This is a single stage HP but, that isn't all of the required information you need to pick a system configuration.

He has his mind made up, you can't confuse him with the facts.

I thought I'd try. :-)