How to adjust oil furnace electrodes and flame?

Page 4 of 5

Instead of paying an arm for asbestos removal you can do it safely, you just soak it with a hose until its completely wet and keep area wet, its of no harm wet.
Yes that's a brilliant idea!...NOT. As if playing at being an oil burner mechanic with no tools or training isn't bad enough now you suggest that he becomes an instant asbestos abatement technician. All that training and PPE(personal protective equipment) is so unnecessary. Just hose it down and put it in the trash can. All DIY'ers should get into asbestos removal! Maybe next he could try his hand at elevator repair or helicopter maintenance. It's not rocket surgery after all.
kool wrote:

Funny you mention Rocket surgery, I've met a Rocket Scientist and I'm not so sure of their mechanical ability either.
--
Zyp

Zyp wrote:

Oh, I don't know about that. Even their failures go boom. How can you condemn a sport that leaves very little evidence that it was a failure?

Don Ocean wrote:

Ok Don;
You are right about the evidence. Although, that last little Columbia problem left plenty of evidence.
--
Zyp

Zyp wrote:

That was coming down. The real kaboom sending it up was a booming success. ;-p

mr logic316 , obviously you've never spoken to a person with a real education and vocabulary , don't bother coming back with one of your semi-literate 'clever' comebacks , i'm done with you , regards , Jack
Logic316 posted for all of us...

Oh, like high CO coming out?
--
Tekkie - I approve this advertisement/statement/utterance.

I have two CO detectors in the house, as well as a big old brick chimney with a strong draft. This boiler and chimney were originally designed for burning coal, so it operates on a draft system that is more than capable of venting out excess fumes. Besides, with oil heat you're going to smell the unburnt hydrocarbons long before the CO becomes a problem, that's why oil is relatively much more safe than natural gas. But I guess you knew that, right?
- Logic316
"We are ready for any unforeseen event that may or may not occur." -- Vice President Al Gore, 9/22/97

Actually, your wrong on all counts... but I guess you knew that and are just trying to stir the pot.
On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 11:01:48 -0400, "Logic316"

Your logic on this one Logic again continues to amaze me. You have two CO detectors and thats what you are banking you and your familys life on? You need to learn what those $30-$40 CO detectors really do and do detect. Read here www.coexperts.com Nope, I have nothing to do with them and I really dont care if you read it or purchase one. Its just good info. The fact that you think you are going to smell unburnt hydrocarbons before any CO becomes a problem is just plain scary. What happens at 2AM when you are in a sound sleep on a 0 degree night and your boiler soots up? Have you actually ever seen how fast a boiler and chimney can plug when an oil burner futzes up?? Ive seen plenty of them and its not pretty and it happens it literally minutes. You really need to buy a clue on what you are doing. Bubba

wrote:> Your logic on this one Logic again continues to amaze me.

If you were talking about a relatively modern boiler (which operates on pressure rather than draft), I would understand what you mean. But apparently you don't realize how big the passages in my boiler are. Maybe you need to familiarize yourself with older heating equipment (circa 1945, it really is a beauty). I already mentioned that this monster used to be a COAL boiler, so the exhaust pipe and chimney are over a foot in diameter and the spaces within the heat exchanger are also quite large. I've have also been monitoring the way it runs every day, so there's no way it can just plug up without warning. Anyhow, I figured out the problem I was having with the flame being a bit too long and sooty. The electrodes did in fact need to be adjusted further away, and before I simply didn't let the furnace run long enough after changing nozzles. This time I let it run for a good half hour afterwards (and left the air intake band open all the way), and when I checked it after it got good and hot the flame was compact and smokeless. It's now just a matter of getting the perfect fuel/air ratio.........
- Logic316
"A diplomat thinks twice before saying nothing."
On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 17:29:55 -0400, "Logic316"

Logic, You keep proving yourself logic-less. I dont care if your flue passages are a foot in diameter. Ive worked on shit 10 times older than that and a hell of a lot bigger. Ive worked on crap that has been around 80 -100 yrs I believe. It had doors on it where you crawl in it to clean it out. If it isnt burning right it plugs up.......simple as that. Ive also done old coal fired converted to oil boilers in residential. The old (donut cast iron boilers). It ALL plugs up if you dont know how to set it up. Last one was a 4 gal hr nozzle some old timer gave up on. I went out and tried to set it up to factory specs. HaHaHa. I couldnt have been any farther from correct. I finally got ahold of some old fart that used digital equipment. He kind of laughed at my attempt to set up this one to specs. First he upped the pump pressure till it almost screamed. Changed to a nozzle I hadnt seen, set the draft, make a couple tweaks and had it running awesome. Brought the efficiency numbers up and all. He was old and had seen a lot of shit. It was interesting to watch an old timer that had changed over to digital. You can buy instruments on ebay and read a book but you still wont have a clue. Bubba

Logic,
how about the baromentric damper? that might even out the ratio..
Mark
Logic316 wrote:

Actually there have been more than a few cases where the family never woke up to smell anything. Your logic is really flawed.

Check my reply to Booboo.
- Logic316
"I don't mind what Congress does, as long as they don't do it in the streets and frighten the horses." -- Victor Hugo

<Irrelevent drivel snipped>

I don't make threats, Booboo, I only issued you a challenge. You're perfectly free to take it or leave it. I have a hard time taking "keyboard warriors" seriously, and I'm curious to see if you're as boorish in person. Go ahead and send me a private email address, and we'll take things from there. Or you can just keep on talking trash and showing everybody that's all you can do.
- Logic316
"Welfare's purpose should be to eliminate, as far as possible, the need for its own existence." -- Ronald Reagan

You got told what you needed to know...If its not what you wanted to hear, tough...get over it. now go away.

Suggestion noted, and rejected. Tell you what Booboo, when YOU'RE the one who pays my oil bill and has to clean out my boiler, then you can complain and insist on having it maintained YOUR way.
- Logic316
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." -- Popular Mechanics, 1949
On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 11:23:04 -0400, "Logic316"

Obviously with you, Logic, the old adage applies: "Sometimes you just can fix stupid"
and as to your other dumbass post to wanting my email addy..... How about you just look up in this message and all my messages. What is it up there about it that you cant see my email? All you have to do its remove the word "remove" in my email. Dont expect any responses though. If I cant fix stupid in here I sure wont try in an email. I find it ridiculously funny that you cant seem to take simple advice about the fuel burning operation of an oil boiler. A properly tuned boiler (key word: PROPERLY) will save you hundreds of dollars. Personally I dont care if you spend $100 a day in fuel oil and CO up your house one cold winter night and kill yourself and your entire family. Its in the papers everyday. You can just be another statistic. Now you can "Bite Me" again. Bubba Bubba

Thanks, I'll look for that. It amazes me that I've been doing my own car repairs and roof work for years, yet nobody ever bitched at me simply for not being a state-certified auto mechanic or roofer. And working on a car or a roof can get you killed if you don't pay attention to basic safety procedures, yet it's something an amateur can be quite capable of doing properly. But if I even dare to mention around here that I touched MY own furnace, all of a sudden it's like I stepped on the toes of the oil mafia. Makes you wonder.....
- Logic316
"...trusting the government with your privacy is like having a Peeping Tom install your window blinds." -- John Perry Barlow