Homeowner here

Page 1 of 2
Ok guys, I am buying a new gas hot air furnace from a local HVAC company that has provided excellent service in the past. I have a choice between 90+ furnaces, both with dual stage burners. One has a single speed blower, the other has variable speed. Is the difference worth $700?
TH wrote:

Hi, IMO, if you want to get every drop of efficiency out of it, variable speed blower will help but typically it is not as reliable as single (or dual speed one).
Tony Hwang wrote:

Is a variable-speed motor the same as an ECM motor (Electronically Commutated Motor) ?
Do current variable-speed HVAC motors radiate a lot of RF noise back into the house or the house wiring?

Yep, I guess you really are that stupid.

Nope, just into your tinfoil hat gayguy Bubba
HVAC Guy wrote:

Oh yeah I've got one and I can no longer watch tv, use the phone, take a shower, go to the bathroom,use the computer or start my car because of the magnetic field it creates. Keeps the house warm though..
IDIOT
do snipped-for-privacy@do.com wrote:

Don't be such a dickwad.
There are motor-controllers (and light dimmers, and fluorescent ballasts) that generate a lot of RF noise on the AC power lines. I wouldn't be surprised if ECM motors did the same thing.
posted for all of us...

That tin foil hat is a winner!

I like variable speed but I also get paid to diagnose and replace them. You best bet is to get the variable speed WITH a 10 year parts AND LABOR warranty. Bubba
Bubba wrote:

A variable speed [ECM] motor will save on electrical costs over a standard PSC multi-speed motor. But as other's have said, the cost of replacment is high. There is an increase in comfort with an ECM, less noise too. I get the 10 year PARTS and LABOR warranty as Bubba said.
--
Zyp

Any money saved by the efficency of the variable speed will be wiped out the first time it needs to be repaired....go for the dual speed, its a good compromise that uses simple technology. Mark

Dual speed? Dual speed what? Are you talking about 2 stage? Bubba
Bubba posted for all of us...

Forward/reverse - not so hard is it?

The ECM motor killer is bad ductwork and high static pressures. The equipment I sell has "hybrid" X-13 motors in it. Almost as energy efficient as the ECM with several of the other benefits wbut with out a lot of the problems and expense.
The 2 stage equipment that I deal with has both blower and consenser fan motors that are ECM. Its fun to watch "Billy-Joe-Jim-Bob" try to make an ECM fan motor run by pushing in the contactor.. LOL
Full-quoter Noon-Air wrote:

The X-13 _is_ an ECM motor.
Mark wrote:

And you for sure know that the saving would be wiped out by the cost of the first repair? What assurance do you have that the first repair will be a replacement motor? And, what assurance do you have that, as time passes, the cost for ECM replacements won't decrease? Like computers have? And what assurance, do you have that the cost of electricity won't keep rising offsetting any cost of repair?
--
Zyp

Zyp wrote:

First of all, variable-speed doesn't always = ECM, and not all ECM's are variable speed.
Second, what's the retail or job-shop cost of a 1/3 or 1/2 hp ECM motor?
As to if it's worth the extra money for slightly higher efficiency, that might also depend upon where you live. Since you would have to use it enough for it to be worth it, and you didn't state where you live so I have no way of knowing what the temperatures are like where you are or your personal preforances for heating and cooling.

First of all, this "aint" McDonalds so you wont "have it your way" Second, if you want the cost, go buy one and figure it out yourself. Bubba
Bubba wrote:

Psssssst, Bubba [that's Burger King] not McDonald's.
And for the other, I don't know about you all, but if you bought a forced air heater, with an ECM, I would have to say that you also bought air conditioning. That being said, it is used year-round.
For HVAC Gay Guy, you are funny, but looks aren't everything. A variable speed ECM uses an amount of wattage only that's necessary to get the job done. A PSC motor on the other hand will draw what it's rated for [unless the static if F.U.] Then it may draw to it's limit.
An ECM costs more because of the permanent magnets and the electronics. But an ECM offers quiter operation, more comfort, and energy savings. If you [and I'm speaking of the HVAC Gay Guy] can't afford the ECM models, fine, don't buy one. Then in 10 years, you can replace the PSC motor.
--
Zyp

Zyp wrote:

Where did I say that an ECM motor ISIN'T more efficient than a PSC?

Why won't you answer the question?
What is the over-the-counter, cash'n'carry cost of an ECM motor?