Heat Pump/AC/Thermostat Problem

I seem to have a problem with my home heat/ac/thermostat that I'm not sure what it could be. The home is a single-wide trailer with central ac (Outdoor unit) and a heat pump inside the house. Yesterday the area where the heat pump is made some loud thumping noises which eventually stopped and the heat kept going. When I got home last night the heat was running and I flipped it off. Now it seems to be dead. As of right now, the thermostat won't turn on the heat/ac/fan at all. I pulled the panelling from the wall and checked the heat pump and by flipping the blower switch from auto to on the blower fires up and I get air flowing through the vents. I don't have a terminal tester handy right now so i'm not sure if the thermostat is fault. The thermostat is a White-Rodgers model 1F56-444 and has RH, RC, Y, and W connectors. Is there a way to manually jump the power to see if its the thermostat thats faulty? I can't afford a new heat pump and i'm hoping that this is just an old thermostat going bad issue. Any help would be appreciated.

since it still won't work?? If you do indeed have a heat pump. your thermostat doesn't have enough connections to support one. You really need to consider calling somebody who can see what you got, diagnose, and correct your problems. No its not going to be free, but you'll be warm again.

Where should we send the money?
On 7 Dec 2006 09:24:23 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hughes.net wrote:

Why did they put your heat pump inside the house? It doesnt go there. The heat pump goes under the trailer, the A/C goes on the roof and the thermostat should be in the refrigerator. While you're at it, replace the thermostat. Bubba
bubba it says your posting will self destruct in a couple of days? i have enjoyed your many postings. hope you change the setting back.
Bubba wrote:

WTF are you talking about?? My "X-no-archive=yes" line ? What are you doing? Archiving my posts? How many times can you read my drivel? You read it, you laugh, you cry, you puke on your keyboard, you delete it and move on. You should really get out once in a while. Bubba :-)

snipped-for-privacy@hughes.net wrote:

it seems like every single service call I go out on has one common complaint: the thermostat doesnt work.
My response: when you walk into any room in your house and flip on the light switch and the light doesnt come on, do you replace the light switch or the light bulb?
Not one fucking person will replace the light switch first, but every gawd damn one of them thinks its ALWAYS the thermostat that is at fault.
I sell ALOT of $400.00 thermostats, and have a stack of perfectly good used ones.
Hey guys, I'll bet it was his thermostat that was making the loud thumping noises he was hearing.......duh
terminal letter definitions and more at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermostat
lots of Q and A at: http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/living/home/home_improvement/ask_expert_front.htm?forumId 69&mode=display&action=&type=list&pageNo=1
snipped-for-privacy@hughes.net wrote:

DAMMIT! DON'T POST THE LINK TO THE SERVICE MANUAL ON HERE!
THOSE HOMOANERS WILL NOW KNOW ALL THE SECRETS!