Goodman Stack Over Temp Switch

My Goodman GMPN080 furnace has been acting strangely for several years now. After a concerted effort, I have determined that the stack over temp switch is opening at 140 degrees F, and not closing until it gets down to about 110 degrees F. This causes the gas valve to shut off. The controller tries three times to relight it, then shuts everything off for an hour, with a single LED flash code on the controller card.
My question is: is this switch malfunctioning, or is 140F an unusually high temperature?
Thanks,
pf

I have never heard of a "stack over temp switch", but then again, I'm new at this...20 years....
--
Respectfully, Bob

"Bob_Loblaw" wrote:

well damn son, that explains a lot !! :-)
snipped-for-privacy@gonefishin.net wrote in news:i596q2tgdt1386srsh85qq5g6r974irrco@ 4ax.com:

40 years if you count the overtime! :-)
--
Respectfully, Bob

If your Goodman is acting strangely, tell it to stop. Who all was involved in this "concerted" effort? I checked the parts break down sheet of the GMPN080. No "stack over temp switch" is listed. Maybe you are really just looking at your fridge? If the gas valve is shutting off, tell it to stop that. Id change the thermostat and wiring. That should take care of it. Bubba

140F isn't as high as 200F.

Ha ha! You guys crack me up. It's nice to see that you extremely experienced HVAC professionals still know how to have fun.
The concerted effort I mentioned was performed by me, myself and I.
For those of you who have never heard of a stack over temp switch, there is one on this list of Gas Furnace Repair Parts from Goodman Manufacturing Company. Check out Item 19. http://arnoldservice.com/GMP%20Gas%20Furnace%20Parts%20List.pdf
There are a few of them for sale on this page: http://www.famousparts.com/gob1tob13.html
This one is mine: http://www.famousparts.com/b1370253.html
If there is anything else you extremely experienced HVAC professionals would like to learn from a total clueless fucking amateur, let me know.
By the way, my fridge did have the same problem, but I slapped that bitch upside the icemaker and it came around. The furnace don't respond to that.
Your best friend,
pf

Did your buddies at "Arnolds" have any other advice for you regarding the potential hazards of the Goodman?? Did you inquire as to why your "stack over temperature" switch was tripping in the first place?? Are your life insurance premiums up to date?
--
Respectfully, Bob

wrote

That's kind of what I was asking here. What I got was a whole lot of superior attitude and not much intelligence.
I'm not talking about jumpering out the switch or anything rash like that. I'm going to replace it and see if it fixes the problem. I was hoping that some experienced person would tell me whether the situation I described sounded normal.
You know, it's a furnace. It's a bunch of switches, valves, and sensors, no less understandable than a computer or a car. Some of it takes specialized knowledge and tools, but some of it is within the reach of an intelligent logical homeowner.
pf
I have found countless cracked heat exchangers on the Goodman GMPN furnace. 93-95 are the worst. Cracks are hard to find, almost impossible to see. Take it out, look at the back on the formed part of the s bend in the clamshell tube portion. It's non welded, a lock fitting. They have a 20 year warranty, but I would buy a new furnace. Chances are its sucking air and causing stack temp to increase. 140F is high for a high efficiency.
-Canadian Heat
-- --------------------------------- --- -- - Posted with NewsLeecher v3.7 Final Web @ http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet ------------------- ----- ---- -- -

Most of the guys in here get paid to answer questions like yours. You think replacing a part will fix it? Only temporary my boy. Very temporary. Then that one will do the same thing. The magic is not how to replace the part..........its WHY? After you've thrown a few parts at it, you"ll begin to grasp why it is cheaper and easier to call someone who knows what they are doing. Bubba

You wanted an answer, not advice. That's why you ignored mine and others.

and potentially explosive gas, possibly carbon monoxide....ya, you're usual homeowner, do-it-yourself kinda fix-it stuff....

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.....
--
Respectfully, Bob