Carrier RT/HP?

Can anyone explain the metering device set up in a Carrier 50TJQ 012 501GA. About 10 yrs. old. 2-3/8" liquid lines ,one heat one cool, go to 3/4" headers with eight 3/8" outlets on each of two cicuits. Expansion happens at each of eight inlets to the indoor coil . Are there orifaces in all 32 branches? I am about to try Carrier's site for an explanation but no guaranties.

Not sure on your particular unit, but Carrier has coils like that.
Sorry, I don't feel like looking it up...

http://www.xpedio.carrier.com/idc/groups/public/documents/techlit/48_50-100si.pdf I guess I learned something new today.

i.pdf
Yep, that's it.

take it from someone who's already been down that road, it's far easier to change the dual ckt evap coil than replacing headers. Headers & all come with a new evap coil........4 welds & you're done.

Ya, I believe that one. Luckily I don't have to change it ,I was just curious as to how they work. Strange setup but it seems to work well.

how big is this unit estimate 100 ton? suction must be at leas 6" Tony
,one heat one cool, go to 3/4" headers with eight 3/8"

No it's only about 10 tons, 2 5 ton circuits,1-3/8" s.l.

Purpose of multi circuits to minimize pressures drop in the coil there are for making the coils (evaporators ) more efficient in ACs systems and refrigeration systems depends on tonnage size of system can go 14> circuits. Also some systems may use these circuits to control capacity if you are in business and you stay in it you may come across many crazy setups. good luck. Tony www.cas-environ.com