Apartment Furnace Options

Hey ....

I own a building that has three apartments in it and currently uses steam heat....COSTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wanted some options so that I could install let's say a small furnace in every apartment. No, baseboard heating is not an option since I would need to upgrade ALL of the wiring.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
PizzaHEMI

Call someone out to give you options and quotes.

Reply to
<kjpro

Your options are given by the building. You really need a pair of eyes to look this over in person to discuss options. A fact finding mission you CAN do (if possible) is to find similar buildings up or down the street like yours and see what has worked/not worked for them.

-zero

Reply to
-zero

Reply to
Steve Scott

Look at the steam vent and if you see steam imagine it as dollar bills floating off into heaven. Then if you see steam coming from the vent replace the bad steam traps and you will see the cost come down.

Reply to
Power's Mechanical

Get a gas meter hung for each apartment, let them pay for the gas and rental of a heater. Have your local utility install a combo unit, that will heat domestic hot water as well feed into an airhandler. Each apartment would have it&#39;s own duct system, water heater and air handler. Each apartment could pay their own bill. Or if they are small bachelor style apartments, gas fireplaces might be all you need.

I like the first option, if it&#39;s an open concept style condo. Use round duct paint it, looks sharp. A cool industrial decor :)

-Canadian Heat

--

--------------------------------- --- -- - Posted with NewsLeecher v3.8 Final Web @

----- ---- -- -

Reply to
Anonymous

Need to get three or four local heating and aC companies out to look. I&#39;ve heard of this kind of situation. there are an assortment of answers.

One option to consider is to put a furnace in each unit. That would require gas, electric, and ducting.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

danger....your idea was the one I was looking at...the round duct is in our restaurant for the retro look.

However...I noticed the ventless gas heaters by Comfort Glo...and these would be less expensive to install and would need no duct work...or electric run...only extensions of the gas lines.

Reply to
PizzaHEMI

I&#39;ve known folks who have used the ventless heaters, and been very pleased with them. Y&#39;welcome.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

So you just want someone on Usenet to validate your own preconceived idea? Why didn&#39;t you just say so? That should not be a problem between a few posters here and quite a few over at alt.home.repair.

-zero

Reply to
-zero

If you go this way... you don&#39;t care about the people that live there!!!!!!

Reply to
<kjpro

If you&#39;re recommending him to use these to heat a living space......

You&#39;re more ignorant than I already thought!

Reply to
<kjpro

What about direct vent heaters? They are legal even in California for residential use and the vent goes right through the outside wall that the heater mounts on.

Reply to
BR

They are venting the gases from combustion to the outside of your home... so, yes.

You would have to check with your local authorities.

Reply to
<kjpro

Unless you have really high ceilings I wouldn&#39;t use any round, nor would you wqant to pay the cost for the spiral . We just did 14 units and installed seperate units in each apartment. Landlord was seperating untilities. We used Ruud 90% Furnaces and Condensers on the roof. Some space is going to lost. But gives tenant more control

Reply to
Bob Pietrangelo

If nothing else, your humidity will likely rise so high that it f****ng rains all the time.

On the inside of the structure.

Reply to
Jeffrey Lebowski

If the structure is that tight, it won&#39;t matter...

...as you won&#39;t be around long to be miserable.

Reply to
<kjpro

I think those ventless heats were invented in aushwitz

Reply to
Abby Normal

Too bad you don&#39;t own one

Reply to