A/C problem, need help ASAP

I have a central A/C. Around when there was a thunderstorm, electricity flickered about 2-3 times in our house.

Now our A/C is not working. The inside is all fine, the fan runs etc.

I am doing investigation and will post in this thread, but the breaker popped and any attempt to reset it pops it again. I tried to measure amps with my ammeter, it was quite hard to do due to breaker popping soon, but the highest measure I got was about 200 amps.

I am going to open up the case now to have a quick look, I will be running back and forth. My hope is that it is something simple like capacitor shorted, but it easily could be worse (eg motor shorted).

Ignoramus2645

Get an electrician to check your shorts

Reply to
Noon-Air

Have your buddy hold the breaker handle over for a while so the current can stabilize and you can get a better reading.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

Absolutely. 200 amps is a lot of punch.

Reply to
PJ ;-)

It is quite obviously not very relevant, but there is very solid 24 VAC as input to the contactor's coil.

One pair of contacts (across the contactor) measures 0 ohm. Another pair, strangely, measures infinity, which is quite strange as the contactor ought to be closed for a power fault like this to occur (barring some very strange troubles). I left the outside unit due to the rain that resumed, will come back there soon.

I am not used to seeing such strange contactors, all contactors that I dealt with, to date, were three pole contactors for 3 phase motors.

Also, can someone explain me why the capacitor has three sets of terminals. What is the purpose of the third terminal. Thanks.

Ignoramus2645

Funny, but OMFG

Reply to
PJ ;-)

My shorts are pretty wet by now, from the rain and wet grass.

As far as the wiring, I would like to check out some things by myself (I am not a big stranger to electricity, built my phase converter blah blah).

Ignoramus2645

My shorts are pretty wet by now, from the rain and wet grass.

As far as the wiring, I would like to check out some things by myself (I am not a big stranger to electricity, built my phase converter blah blah).

Ignoramus2645

My shorts are pretty wet by now, from the rain and wet grass.

As far as the wiring, I would like to check out some things by myself (I am not a big stranger to electricity, built my phase converter blah blah).

Ignoramus2645

I tried it, and I think that the breaker is good enough to reset despite that. In any case, it is kind of pointless, as I know that the current is too large and lasts too long.

I tried asking my wife to turn on the CB while I was outside, I heard some humming noise and then stop. I will wait a little until rain subsides and will go back.

Ignoramus2645

Well, the contactor's apparently bad. Start there. Been there, done that. Respectfully, Ron Moore

Reply to
Ron Moore

Hi Ron.

I think that I was wrong. The contactor is OK. I must have mismeasured something. It has zero ohms across bost pairs of contacts.

I am going to post a little update, it is a little more apparent to me -- see my separate post.

Ignoramus2645

Some new developments.

  1. The main 24VAC coil contactor is fine, I must have mis-measured something.

  1. I understand why there are three terminals on the capacitor. There are really two capacitors in one "can". They share a common. One capacitor is for fan and another is for the main compressor motor.

  2. If I disconnect one lead to the capacitor (a fat blue lead), then, if my wife resets the breaker, the cooling fan starts up just fine and I hear humming noise from the motor. I did not let that continue for much more than 2 seconds.

My conclusion is that most likely, the capacitor for the main motor is shot.

Q U E S T I O N S:

  1. Anyone know how to calculate required capacitance by "rated amps" of the motor? (I realize that motors are all different, but I need some way to guesstimate)

  1. Do the two coexisting caps share a common terminal, or does one of them have one contact on top and another being the (grounded) can?

Answers will be appreciated.

More to follow.

Ignoramus2645

There ought to be a diagram somewhere, and some markings on the capacitor, that will tell you what you need to know. Anything else is just guessing.

Reply to
CJT

Turn up the "squelch" knob on the CB. That ought to stop the humming and noise.

10-4 good buddy!
Reply to
Oscar_Lives

He's better at the guessing part. I suggest he wears a blue shirt tomorrow, and white socks.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Sounds like you are not going to be helpful.

Ignoramus2645

Does this happen to be San Diego, Ron Moore?

Barry

Reply to
Barry

You get what you pay for. Hire a tech and get it fixed. hang out on the world wide web and be entertained.

Cheap f*ck.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

Yea. Great idea. Here's the diagram: