$760 Circuit Board or new system ?

Page 1 of 4
Hello,
Just returned from military deployment and my welcome back gift from the wife was "the AC and Heater need to be fixed". I have a York furnace and AC, it is 13 years old (contractor grade).
I had two companies come out. They both agreed that the AC should be replaced but they differed on the furnace. Company A said replace the bad circuit board ($760) and you should be good for another 7 years. Company B recommended replacing the furnace because it will "nickel and dime" us, a new one is much more efficient and that we would save some in labor having it all done at once.
Any opinions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jim
Jim wrote:

Where are you located Jim?
--
Zyp

Va
Jim
Jim wrote:

Are you out in the "sticks" like Paul?
Did a little person come out as one of the tech's?
--
Zyp

Jim wrote:

Your welcome-to-this-newsgroup gift will be - basically nothing useful (if you're lucky) and more likely some verbal abuse if you ask too many questions.

The blue-collar hvac dweebs who will even bother to answer will basically agree that you need to empty your wallet on a new furnace, preferrably one with a board that will cost $1500 to replace when it goes bad in the future.

The AC can wait until spring (you're not saying what part of the AC is the problem).
As for the circuit board, $760 is a ripoff considering that a Pentium Core-2 Intel motherboard with CPU will cost about half that. The board probably costs $100 and they're charging $660 to install it.
HVAC Guy wrote:

Obviously;
HVAC Guy isn't HVAC. The cost of the board, carry it around on the truck until someone needs it investment [I could have put the money in the bank instead and earned currently 5.25% and not done anything] plus the cost of shipping the board to me, plus the "cost of business" i.e. overhead. Then comes the labor cost dweeb.
BTW: some of the older boards [albeit 20 years ago] do cost around $100 wholesale, but anything under 10 years cost quite a bit more. Remember, these are propietary boards designed only to fit this application on this appliance. Computer boards tend to be more generic and are sold under various names. Some motherboards handle a multitude of cpu's, not just one type.
Don't be a dweeb and spout off about stuff you don't know shit about.
--
Zyp

what is the model number of the furnace.. the boards only run about 100 dollars. Sound like someone is trying to screw you..
regards, kelvin
Jim wrote:

That's a hard call to make but a 13 year old furnace that has a standing pilot may be on it's last leg.
--
Moe Jones
HVAC Service Technician
Moe Jones wrote:

A 13 year-old furnace on it's "last leg" ???
Are you kidding?
Is the lifetime of furnaces declining since the 1970's?
I guess I'll keep my perfectly-good-and-working furnace (circa 1976) a little longer then.
And what does a standing pilot have to do with it? Could it be that you, like all those employed in the hvac field, strongly desire all home owners to move to more-expensive-to-repair furnaces that will garantee you a more steady service income?
From a home-owner POV, a standing pilot light is far more reliable and has a lower total ownership cost vs electronic ignition.

What's wrong little man, are you pissed because you were too dumb to change your filter and you let someone charge you 100.00 dollars to do it? Dumbass!
SuperHeat wrote:

For what it's worth, no ass-wipe tech has ever been called to look at my 1976 furnace in the 8 years I've owned it (nor my AC unit, which is probably circa 1986).
I know you don't want to hear shit like that, because it just means less $$$ for you.
Now go back and twidle your thumbs waiting for your next service call.
HVAC Guy wrote:

Hi, Knocking on the wood? Your furnace may fail on the coldest day of this winter and your a/c on the hottest day of the summer next year. Keep your fingers crossed, LOL! Ever heard of preventive maintenance? Ounce of prevention or pound of remedy? Common sense rules!
HVAC Guy wrote:

Hi, One thing, standing pilot burns gas all the time. No matter how small amount it may be. Ever thought about conservation/environment? I guess you are still driving '70's gas guzzling/polluting carburated automobile too then?
Tony Hwang wrote:

Not if you turn off the gas to the furnace during the 7 or 8 months of the year you don't (won't) call for heat.

Like I said, turning it off for the spring, summer and fall is no big deal. Is that conservation enough for ya?
As for the winter, the heat coming off the pilot is still radiating into my house (even it's just adding a little more heat to the exchanger) - so it's not really lost at all.
It's a similar issue for the (now) hated incandescent light bulb. During the winter (when there is less natural light) the heat coming from an incandescent bulb is not really lost - it's actually supplementing the heat you need from your furnace.
HVAC Guy wrote:

Look, Your logic is twisted. What about the heat from lamp in summer then? Bulbs are for illumination not for heat. Turning off pilot in summer? How about moisture build up inside burner?
Tony Hwang wrote:

Yes, it's true that it's adding heat that I don't want. But also remember that the days are longer in the summer (at least where I live) so I have a reduced need to turn on lights in the summer vs the winter.

The pilot doesn't put out enough heat to prevent that.
If the AC is doing it's job, it keeps the humidity down and should keep moisture buildup to a minimum.
The proper way to do it is to shunt the air around the heat exchanger in the summer and shunt it around the evap coil in the winter. That would improve air flow as well, probably reduce noise too.

That's why I turn mine off around March or April and turn it back on in November.
That tiny bit of heat helps keep away moisture. Helps keep your furnace from rusting out prematurely.
--

Christopher A. Young;
.

On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 08:23:00 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

hehehe. You dumbass Stormy. Who told you that? Your local gas company? What keeps the moisture out of the new furnaces with no pilot? What keeps them from rusting out? You are about the dumbest bonehead Ive ever heard from. Go borrow a rock. Bubba

Dear "NOT HVAC Guy" You are clueless as usual. Your 30 yr old furnace may be working but that's all its doing. "What does a standing pilot have to do with it?" (you ask) Nothing other than the fact that you are most likely burning an extra $20 a month each and every month which amounts to $240 a year you just pissed away. (and yes, most people dont turn their pilot off in the summer) "More expensive to repair?" (you say) Thats funny. My customers that purchase a furnace from me enjoy a properly sized furnace that burns at 95% efficient and about half of them opt for the 2 stage and/or variable speed model. Those customers also enjoy a 10 yr "no charge" service calls should anything happen to break down. I only recommend that they purchase a service agreement for regular maintenance as does the manufacturer although I DONT require it to honor their warranty. I'll match 10 yrs of purchase, fuel cost and repairs against your 30 yr old furnace any day. Bubba "You need to be teachded or learnt this trade before you speweth your mouth"