25cuft Kenmore chest freezer

I have a Kenmore 25 cu ft chest freezer, it seems to have two problems. Let me first say I have 11 of these, and an independent temperature monitoring system. The temps generally run -11* to -22* F. It depends on whether the sensor is against the wall or in air. The independent sensors are on the end of a wire and hang were the hang. If against the wall it will read the -22* F or even colder. It has temperature display that started reading incorrect and blinking. It also runs warmer than the others at maybe -5*F. I tried placing the sensor against the wall and the temp did drop to -10*F. This may seem cold enough but if the others run at -22* when the sensor is against the wall so should this one. So far I replaced a control pcb, and that solved the blinking display and incorrect temperature, or at least the temperature reads much lower now than it did.
If the freon was only a little low, would that cause the evaporator tube temperature in the wall to increase from -22* to -10*?
Mikek
On 7/6/2015 9:45 AM, amdx wrote:

As Tony just wrote, Freon is a brand name. The term he says to use is "refrigerant".
Yes, it's very possible. I had some friends whose upright freezer warmed up. A couple ounces of refrigerant helped.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 7/9/2015 6:28 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

My HVAC tech brother in law, added a little one morning, and the temp dropped about 4*F. But it wasn't enough. So we shut it down and then the next time he came back the compressor was not running hot, he added Forane 134A by Arkema and now it a day later it is running -17.95*F in line with my other freezers.
btw, I got out of bed in my Onesie this morning and stepped on some Bubble Wrap, it could have been Styrofoam, I'm just lucky it wasn't Scotch Tape, I put it in the Dumpster. I put on my Velcro slippers. On my way to the Jaccuzi, I stopped at fridge for a Popsicle. Once refreshed, I turned on the Crockpot, grabbed my Chapstick and Windbreaker then jumped on my Jet SKi, it's a lot faster than a Zamboni or my Rollerblades! After a great ride I was deciding whether to play Frisbee or Hula Hoop, but then decided to cut dolls out of Post-its on a Formica counter with my X-acto Knife. Those are sharp, I cut myself, I needed two Band-Aids, not as bad as getting hit with a Taser though. And then I grabbed a Xerox, but had to Wite-Out a paragraph before I sent it to my Realtor. To finish my day a installed Plexiglas in a frame, ran my Weed Eater, then used a Kleenex and Q-Tips for a little hygiene. How many brand names can you find? That ought drive Tony crazy. :-) Mikek
On 7/9/2015 11:55 AM, amdx wrote:

I may save a text of this, you did good.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 7/13/2015 11:28 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

You're welcome to rewrite it so the words flow a little more smoothly. I just Googled for a site of brand names that have become product names, then started writing. Didn't take the time for a rewrite.

Mikek Freezer is still working fine.
On 7/9/2015 6:28 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Whoa...Best read your charts again Stormy. The less pressure the colder the Gas becomes...Until of course you decrease beyond transfer capability. Nick Pine would flog you for that bit of advice.

On 7/17/2015 1:03 AM, PaxPerPoten wrote:

I don't know the details of gas pressures in refrigeration, all I can tell you is, I have 12 chest freezers, and a temperature monitoring system that displays on my computer screen. The display temperatures are white, UNLESS, the temperature goes above -5*F then it turns RED. (This gives me ample warning time to save my product from thawing.) This freezer was running red on my computer screen and the display on the freezer was above 0*F. A small amount of a Freon equivalent was added, the temp dropped but not enough. We emptied the freezer, shut it down and allowed the compressor to cool down. When my brother in law came back he did his thing with the gauges and the bottle of Freon equivalent. Now the freezer runs, -10*F to -20*F and has for at least 5 days. Do you have an explanation for my experience? Thanks, Mikek
On 7/17/2015 10:01 AM, amdx wrote:

This is Usenet, everyone is expert.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 7/17/2015 9:01 AM, amdx wrote:

What cooling gases are you using? Mixed hybrids can be tricky. Best results come from a deep evacuation and a measured recharge. Sans that.... Charge by Superheat or Subcool methods...Proper charts should be available from equipment manufacturer.
Seek knowledge from the manufacturer of your equipment. Stormy is a Jack of all trades. There are very very few of us that are in the trades still post here... So the advice you get is the advice you get. I would like to see all HVAC people post up...So it will become common knowledge as to who is who.
On 7/20/2015 12:58 AM, PaxPerPoten wrote:

I've been jacking freezers for about 20 years. Doesn't mean I know everything, but do know some.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 7/20/2015 7:17 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Best that I can figure is that your expertise lies in survival flashlights.
I do however recommend that you take a course in thermodynamics. A License wouldn't be a bad idea either. Yes you would have to pass a test.

If your freezers are holding -22 do not look for anything better are perfect some place around 0 to -5 psi with R-12 you should be running. Good luck!
"amdx" wrote in message
[...]

On 7/30/2015 3:36 PM, tony944 wrote:

I have my alarms set for -5* F, that gives me a plenty of time to notice there may be a problem and repair or remove the product.
I have another question. I have one freezer that will run years without a problem. If I shut it off for a week or more the 'refrigerant' will leak out. I know that means the leak is in one side vs the other side of the process. Can you explain how that works?
Mikek
"amdx" wrote in message
On 7/30/2015 3:36 PM, tony944 wrote:

I have my alarms set for -5* F, that gives me a plenty of time to notice there may be a problem and repair or remove the product.
I have another question. I have one freezer that will run years without a problem. If I shut it off for a week or more the 'refrigerant' will leak out. I know that means the leak is in one side vs the other side of the process. Can you explain how that works?
Mikek Yes Mikek I can because I being there. Example what happens to metal regardless copper, Aluminum or Stainless all metals shrinks and expand with temperature change. when you system is running, the low side (suction) is some what cold and perhaps even on Vacuum, when you shot the unit down for one reason or the other, Pressures start to build up, and at the same time metal "your suction" line warms up, and at that time on the suction someplace will open the leak, I had systems where I was force to raise pressure up to 450 psi. "DO NOT DO THIS ON SAMI COMPRESSORS"
On 8/7/2015 11:20 PM, tony944 wrote:

Oh, very good! Thank, Mikek
On 7/17/2015 2:03 AM, PaxPerPoten wrote:

Not sure who Nick Pine is, but I've seen and worked on at least one unit that was low charge, and warmed up.
No need to read the chart again. I work on stuff in the real world.
--
.
Christopher A. Young