Yucca plant with no leaves!

Hi there,
I was given a spiraling Yucca plant that was just out of control. I got a lot of people advising me to just bite the bullet and lop off the uncontrolled growth and see if the Yucca takes off. So, intrepidly I took the hacksaw and went through the trunk. I reported it, and put it a nice aluminum planter.
This is what it now looks like: http://tinyurl.com/yeq6e5z
Now there was some speculation that it would bud, though it hasn't yet (about 2 months ago since I lopped it's head off).
Someone mentioned that I should stab the stem with a screwdriver where I want it to branch out - can anyone verify this? Is there anything I should / could be doing to promote some leaf growth? The trunk remains rigid, and there is water and shingle in the base of the planter to produce some natural moisture...
I did manage to keep the head and put it into another planter, and it's looking good, though I've no idea if it's rooting: http://tinyurl.com/ycx7tmd
So, please, if you have any idea what I should do, please advise. The Yucca trunk is in a warm area with as much light as I can give it in my flat - right by a SE facing window!
Thanks in advance,
Tom.
--
tjrundy

well i definetly dont think you should stab it with a screw driver!! i would think that would damage it even more!

hello there. looked at your pictures. Give the trunk time to get over the whack. As for not seeing roots yet, go to Lowe's or Home Depot and buy a jar of rooting powder. Dust the cut end of the cut off piece with the rooting powder and shove it back into the dirt and water sparingly. Give it time. it will root. The cut trunk will branch eventually. South or western sunlight. Let the soil dry out between waterings. Eva Shovelful