Yucca - how to eradicate

In our front garden Yuccas have been for probably more than 30 years and have taken control. Now we want to get rid of them. I have chopped away the green parts except some, which we still want to see blossom this year. Now I have started to dig out the roots. From just one spot I have unearthed already a whole wheel barrel and if I look at the rest, this will mean altogether a few days of hard work.
Any other way to get rid of them? There are sprouts from the roots and the roots have so much weight that I think there is a lot of energy in them to support further sprouting for quite a while if I leave them in the soil.
Poison? Microbes?
Nomen Nescio
personal e-mail to:nn at utanet dot at