Wound Dressing for TREES

Wound Dressing was studied by mycologist, tree biologist, chemist and so forth by the US FOREST SERVICE researchers. Here at the bottom of the page is a publication titled WOUND DRESSINGS: RESULTS OF STUDIES OVER 13 YEARS in Journal of Arboriculture. http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/W/wound_dressing.html
The majority of bombardment of negative criticism on this newsgroup comes from folk from Texas. The only place I know of in the world that it is a law that you must apply wound dressing is Texas. Texas folks gave Dr. Shigo a hard time about Modern Arboriculture. They are the only group of people that I know of that fought him tooth and nail. Who is Dr. Shigo? His profile is here: http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/SHIGOPROFILE.html There are some good folk from Texas that I have personally studied tree biology with and dissected trees with. My critics do not dissect trees.
His material is here: www.shigoandtrees.com Enjoy
My critics are primarily from Texas. They disagree with most of Modern Arboriculture treatments based on a thorough understanding of tree biology. Go figure. Don Staples, from Texas, is a practicing forester with communication problems with the researchers in tree biology. The story addressing the communication problem is here: http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/hardtoget/ntb102/index.html
Just a little background on the issue.
There is a time when wound dressing could be helpful. If you make a flush cut, like many oaks in Texas suffer from, and paint it with wound dressing. The wound dressing will stimulate the succession of micro organisms and speed up the rot process. This would give you a cavity. Not good for the individual but good for small wildlife that use cavities. In wildlife management I often make flush cuts in the woods for small wildlife. I rather not use the wound dressing.
If anybody has any data to state that through research, with controls, wound dressing has been proven to stop microorganisms or the succession of microorganisms, please email with the data. I would be happy to review it.
--
Do to the overwhelming amount a negative criticism by a few individuals on
this list, I am "only" willing to get into debate by way of email. I have a

On Wed, 2 Jul 2008 09:19:36 -0400, "symplastless"

No, not email my friend. Public. They even mention your "man crush" in the paper.
http://www.texasoakwilt.org/Documents/Stewardship/Pruning_Article.pdf

Not enough colored pictures for him to become interested.
On Wed, 2 Jul 2008 13:14:37 -0500, "Don Staples"

I have a funny feeling he won't acknowledge this abstract. Probably if he does, it will be to say how wonderful Shigo methods are. Duh. The argument is not with Shigo, it's with the the wingnut.
wrote:<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;If anybody has any data, such as Texas A &amp; M, to state that through<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;research, with controls, wound<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;dressing has been proven to stop microorganisms =or the succession of<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;microorganisms, please email with the data.&nbsp; I would be happy to review it<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; No, not email my friend.&nbsp; Public.&nbsp; They even mention your "man crush"<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; in the paper.<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; </FONT><A href="http://www.texasoakwilt.org/Documents/Stewardship/Pruning_Article.pdf "><FONT face=Arial size=2>http://www.texasoakwilt.org/Documents/Stewardship/Pruning_Article.pdf </FONT></A><BR><FONT face=Arial size=2>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Not enough colored pictures for him to become interested. <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; I have a funny feeling he won't acknowledge this abstract.&nbsp; Probably<BR>&gt; if he does, it will be to say how wonderful Shigo methods are.&nbsp; Duh.<BR>&gt; The argument is not with Shigo, it's with the the wingnut.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I think I have discovered why he will not answer, it is from a publication on <STRONG><EM>Arboriculture &amp; Urban Forestry</EM></STRONG>, some things about which he has no idea.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML> ------=
On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 09:54:57 -0500, "Sue Staples"

And hey, it even mentions his boyfriend, Shigo. It took me exactly three seconds to do a search and about five minutes to read the abstract which proves why we paint fresh cuts in TX. It has nothing to do with incorrect pruninig, rather it suggests we use Shigo cuts which are proper. I don't know one arborist who doesn't know to cut outside the branch collar. Feh. This is such an incredible waste of time.

Well, for once, some useful and interesting information emerged from from the pile of invectives and ad hominems.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

It's always been there. It will always be there. I didn't feel I had anything to prove. I supplied the abstract and he didn't even read it.
Om
urban forestry? please define what a forest is.
wrote:<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;If anybody has any data, such as Texas A &amp; M, to state that through<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;research, with controls, wound<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;dressing has been proven to stop microorganisms or the succession of<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;microorganisms, please email with the data.&nbsp; I would be happy to review it<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; No, not email my friend.&nbsp; Public.&nbsp; They even mention your "man crush"<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; in the paper.<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; </FONT><A href="http://www.texasoakwilt.org/Documents/Stewardship/Pruning_Article.pdf "><FONT face=Arial size=2>http://www.texasoakwilt.org/Documents/Stewardship/Pruning_Article.pdf </FONT></A><BR><FONT face=Arial size=2>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Not enough colored pictures for him to become interested. <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; I have a funny feeling he won't acknowledge this abstract.&nbsp; Probably<BR>&gt; if he does, it will be to say how wonderful Shigo methods are.&nbsp; Duh.<BR>&gt; The argument is not with Shigo, it's with the the wingnut.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I think I have discovered why he will not answer, it is from a publication on <STRONG><EM>Arboriculture &amp; Urban Forestry</EM></STRONG>, some things about which he has no idea.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>urban forestry?&nbsp; please define what a forest is.</FONT></DIV> <BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px"> <DIV>What an ignorant dumb fuck you are, yard man.</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
What is the control in the experiment?
-- Sincerely, John A. Keslick, Jr. Consulting Tree Biologist http://home.ccil.org/~treeman and www.treedictionary.com Beware of so-called tree experts who do not understand tree biology. Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding us that we are not the boss. Some people will buy products they do not understand and not buy books that will give them understanding.
[...]

I have searched the statuets, yard man, and cannot find the "law" of which you speak. Please publish it for or edification. We do not give Shigo a hard time, we give you a hard time, you need to accept being what you are, a yard man. I would also like to see where Texans fought Shigo "tooth and nail", seems you take great importance in deffinitions, give us a definition of "fought him tooth and nail", while you are at it, give us your back ground and education that allows you to be call an arborist. And when, while I am at it, you are going to take the arborist test again.
I still need your attoruneys name, or we will have to file directly to the court, you can hold some of that embarrasment at bay by responding.
fought him tooth and nail.