Wooden mulch, bird baths, cats

Page 1 of 2
To make a long story short, I am worrying about whether wood mulch (Cedar Nuggets from Home Depot to be precise) is safe for cats to run on or jump onto? Or small metal bird baths placed on that mulch?
Nothing bad has happened to our knowledge. But a neighbor's cat returned with a serious limp in one of the front leg. She'll heal, but this got him and me talking that while there isn't much we can do about the outside world, we should cat proofing our yards more consciously.
Exhibit 1: My wife has created about a 60 feet long strip of wooden mulch along the fence because grass doesn't grow easily here. Cats love to walk on the mulch, even jump on it from the fence. (As mentioned, it is Cedar Nuggets from Home Depot.)
Now, I tried walking barefoot on it for a few feet and realized it wasn't like normal ground. You have thousands of wood chips, some with sharp edges, all at random angle. I felt a lot of sharp points and edges. Walking gently is one thing, but if a cat ran or, worse, jumped from a fence, she could land on a sharp chip the wrong way and get hurt?
Exhibit 2: We have an 18" heavy iron bird bath. It looks pretty but my fear is it easy to trip. Especially when it is sitting on an uneven ground like the mulch or even grass. Cats are naturally curious, this is just the roght height for them to try playing or climbing, and having it fall on them.
Would appreciate any experience you have guys may have here about saftey of cats running/jumping on wood chips, and playing near bird baths.
Newbie wrote:

<snipped to make a long story even shorter

If you want to make your cats' lives better and safer (and give yourselves less to worry about in the bargain) keep them indoors.

Cats are clever. They wont persist at something that hurts. Very wise, unlike many of us higher animals, obviously. Either don't use the mulch or keep the cats indoors. If neither of those are viable options, stop worrying. As you said earlier, "they love to walk on the mulch, even jump on it from the fence."

I'm concerned about the safety of the birds in such close proximity to the cats.
If the birdbath is so unstable you're concerned about the cats being injured by it: 1. don't put it up -- find another way to leave water out for the birds, or 2. keep the cats indoors
: I'm concerned about the safety of the birds in such close proximity to : the cats.
We call it a birdbath because that's what the shop called it, but birds don't seem to agree and it is merely a decoration. Birds do like to eat in our yard, but so far our water has not interested them. Maybe there are other better sources of water nearby.
There are many cats in the neighborhood, and many birds too. With a little common sense it seems to be working out. Cats are usually well fed and content. Bird feeders are high, near wires and tree branches which they use as staging area. I try not to have any thing near the feeder that would hide cats.

Do the same for your children, you know it makes sense.
Janet.
No to the woodchips bothering the cat. His paws and his weight are not the same as your feet and your weight. The fact that you can see cats like walking in it (and using it for a literbox, too, no doubt) is a good indication that cats are fine with it.
No to putting a heavy, unstable ANYTHING on top of woodchips. Go to ground level, put down a paving tile, level it, put the birdbath on top and rake woodchips around it. If it still tips easily, get a plastic one or risk finding a cat with its brains bashed out someday.

OH MY GOD.
Do me a favor. Tomorrow morning, when you're sober, post an apology for that question, OK?
On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 23:21:13 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

ROTFL

Good question.
If a tree had a great deal of injections and systemics applid there is a good chance that thge chemacls may be stored in the wood. Trees load, store and then use.
What I use at clients properties is composted tree trimmings. This consist of wood chips, leaves and needles. I let them compost for at least one year. NOT FRESH CHIPS. I do not find myself recommending to clients to buy bags of mulch. What ever you use here are some helpful tips in proper mulching.
Proper Mulching - http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/sub3.html and http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/ Look up "Mulch"
Here are two links addressing some of the chemistry of mulch.
Troubles in the Rhizosphere http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html
A Touch of Chemistry http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/CHEM.html
Sincerely, John A. Keslick, Jr. Consulting Arborist http://home.ccil.org/~treeman and www.treedictionary.com Beware of so-called tree experts who do not understand tree biology. Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding us that we are not the boss.

This has GOT to be a troll. No one that worried about cats' safety would be letting them out to travel the neighborhood.
Jo Ann

a dead end street, and one of our cats came from a neighbor (when they got a dog) she still goes back there to visit once in a while, and takes her buddy B-K with her, but other than that, all of our cats spend all of their time on the property. So, other than using the ground for a cat box, they are really inside cats.....
William Graham wrote:

Spayed and neutered cats roam just as much as intact cats do. The difference is that they don't roam looking to mate and don't contribute to the cat overpopulation problem. They are just as much at risk of getting lost, being killed by traffic, getting injured or killed by other animals, exposure and reexposure to diseases communicable to other animals AND humans, becoming stranded outdoors in bad weather, eating poisoned baits, etc. They will return to anyplace they find food, so don't pat yourself on the back about your kitty's fidelity. She may vanish forever at any moment, and then who will you blame? Indoor cats that go outside are not indoor cats. Keep your cats inside!

The above has NOT been my experience, and I am 72 years old and have had many cats during my life....I have four of them right now....two males (one fixed, and one not) and two fixed females. Even the unfixed male never went more than two blocks away, and now, at about 6 years old, he seldom leaves the property. Three of my four cats were outside cats when I got them, and the other one soon learned to appreciate being able to go out on the deck and sun herself.....I wouldn't have an inside cat unless I lived in a very hazardous place, like a city apartment, and then I would get one only as a kitten, and train him/her from birth to live inside.....Even then, every inside cat I have known lives to go outside, and runs out every chance they get. - That should tell you something right there........
William Graham wrote:

You know, when my mother had the first traffic accident in which she was truly at fault, she insisted to the victim, to the police, to the judge and to us that she couldn't POSSIBLY have done anything wrong. She explained ad nauseum that her driving was flawless, because she had been driving for 55 years and had so much experience. It was all the other person's fault, she rationalized, because the victim had only been driving for twelve years and was clearly inept for that reason. She denied blame then and still does to this day. She still will not see that using her age as a defense was one of her biggest missteps in that case.

Don't try to use the number of cats you have right now and the statement you've had many cats during your life as justification. It's lame, and comical.
He never went more than two blocks away? How far does a cat have to go to be lost, injured or killed. Every cat, even the best "trained" cat is motivated by prey drive. A fixed well-fed cat will still chase prey just to chase it.
But I can see there's no reasoning with you about this.

What's, "comical" to you isn't necessarily comical to me....My sense of humor is a bit more expansive than that.....

In my case, (where I'm living right now) a lot further than two blocks.....You should learn to speak for yourself, and your own circumstances and experience.....Don't try to speak for me.
Every cat, even the best "trained" cat is

That's true, and I live on the edge of town.....My cats have over a hundred acres of farm land behind my house to do their sport hunting on.....

That's right.....Your mind is made up, so there's no chance that I will suddenly throw away all my knowledge and experience and acquire yours.......You have already decided that you know all about me and my cats. I'll bet you can read Bush's mind and know that he lied about the WMD's too, haven't you? Let me guess.....You're a liberal.....Right?
William Graham wrote:

So is mine, but not so much that you're not funny.

I wasn't speaking for you, only quoting you. Observe the following, written by you:
"The above has NOT been my experience, and I am 72 years old and have had many cats during my life....I have four of them right now....two males (one fixed, and one not) and two fixed females. Even the unfixed male never went more than two blocks away, and now, at about 6 years old, he seldom leaves the property."
See, "two blocks away." Your claim, not mine.

Sooooooo, what about the aforementioned "two blocks"?

Okay, mom. That's right, the accident was NEVER your fault, mom.

Isn't that prerequisite to having a cat?
wrote in message

My claim of what? - I don't know what the hell you are talking about. Look....My 4 outside cats are quite safe outside my house.....I live on a dead end street. It is full of kids and pets playing in the street all the time. The other side of my house, (the back side) backs up on a huge Christmas tree farm.....My cats would have to travel several blocks in order to get near cars, or in the company of strangers. They don't do that....They never go that far away from the property in the front, and they would have to travel a half mile or more in the back....Now, do I have to draw you a map to understand that my four outside cats are not in any danger? And even if they were, why would you care? They are my cats, and I have to live with them and their lifestyles. You don't. I am not about to tell you how to care for your cats, so why are you so passionate about telling me how to care for mine? In any case, this conversation is over....I have decided that you are a stupid troll, so I am going to eliminate you from my email system.....IOW, I am killfiling you so I no longer have to bother with you.
William Graham wrote:

Awww. Now that is a shame 'cuz it means you'll miss this: Oops, my bad! Draw a picture of that.
I misunderstood your post, so I responded incorrectly.
Still, I believe you are an irresponsible cat owner. Yes, it's my opinion.

Geez Bill, afraid of those boogie man liberals?
Oh wait, I must be one too.
writes:

Yeah....They have a way of thinking they know how other people should live, and if the other people don't live that way, then, by God, they're going to make a law that insists that they live that way, or they are going to tax the living hell out of their indiscretions until they are forced to live that way.
There are many examples....Seat belt laws, motorcycle helmet laws, huge, ridiculous taxes on cigarettes, etc, etc. And, somehow, they know all about how the other people should live, even though they have never walked even for one second in their shoes. They are on their way to their seat on the floor of congress, and they are passed by a biker splitting lanes....They think, "Just you wait, you SOB, I'll fix your ass!" Then, later on that day or week, or month, they make a law that insists he wear an iron mask while he rides his bike, so his life will be miserable all Summer long. Their excuse is, "So my insurance rates will go down." But in fact, the rates are higher, because he will be more likely to break his neck and become a quadrapheligic. Had he not been wearing a helmet, he would be slightly more likely to die, which is a lot cheaper for the insurance company. So, even their sorry excuse for infringing on the rights of others is flawed. Yeah.....I hate the liberals.....I could write a book about it, and how they have screwed up my life...... Now this other AH, (whom I have kill filed, by the way) Is trying to tell me how to take care of my cats, even though he knows absolutely nothing about my home or my cats and what is best for either me, the house or the cats.....If he had his way, he would make a law that insists they remain locked up in my house.....Should the city make such a law, I would move out of town, and should the state make such a law, I would probably have to euthanize all four of them.
William Graham wrote:

How in hell does it add up to that?

You shouldn't have let them.

My, my! Temper!
And as if that wasn't bad enough: The town I live in doesn't allow one household to own that many cats, inside or out! That'd drive him to suicide, wouldn't it? God damned LIBERALS!!!
<incidentally, I'm in Utah... they shoot liberals, don't they?>