withhazel 'Diane'

I have a withhazel that something is eating so that the leaves appear 'lacey'. does something need to be done? if so, what? TIA, Judy, zone 7
Do you see any insects present? A sharp blast of water all over the leaves is a good start.
Dave

it's Japanese beetles.
--
Humankind has not woven the web of life.
We are but one thread within it.

this year but that the plant will be ok? this plant was planted just this June.
but to spray next year? with what???
thanks.

Mine was planted in May when I got it from Carroll gardens. It was a very healthy tree. It even had a few flowers on it to tease me for next year's show. The Japanese beetles came and I didn't even THINK about them devouring the leaves like they did until the leaves were lacey. Next year I get some pyrethrum spray and pay attention when I see the first signs of them and just spray them. The leaves are trying to regrow but with this unseasonable cold snap we've had for August, I don't know if they'll set a late crop of leaves or not. The tree so far is fine as I can tell. I'm checking it tomorrow while I'm off for signs of green cambium on the twigs and trunk.
Schultz makes a spray from pyrethrum that is made from the flower and kills on contact. And since it's not some insidious chemical from Ortho or Specticide or something, I don't feel like I'm being too off the mark organically. If I had the time, I'd just pluck the suckers like I used to. But I work and am distracted and don't have as much time to fool the fornicating beetles into flying down into my waiting jar of soapy, oily water to their drowing death. (if you have time, just go out with a wide mouth mayonaise jar half filled with soapy water and a little cooking oil and hold the jar under the japanese beetles, take the other hand and go over the clustered Japanese beetles and they will drop down and try to fly sideways and escape. but you have a jar under them and they drop into the jar and drown. I use the jar until it's packed full. Let them drown before emptying. The pyrethrum spray just kills them on contact after a few moments. No makee babies when they die! <g>
I will check on the formation of leaves on mine tomorrow and get back with you. Keep the faith. madgardener

Japanese beetles. ate mine too............next year I spray them....... madgardener