Will Hanging Baskets Survive Indoors Over 1 Year

Hi:
I purchased some outside annuals in a hanging basket. I was told they will only make it through the summer season.
I was wondering if they were brought indoors if they could survive over the year or even multiple years.
Is this possible and if so, how.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Ali

It's not worth it. Trust me. Throw them out and start over. I hate to see annuals die each year, too, but trying to make them live in an environment that they hate annoys them and frustrates you.

It would help to know what kinds of flowers they are.
The hanging basket will survive many years but the plants won't.
The very idea of growing annuals in a hanging basket indoors is just plain dumb.
Expecting annuals to behave as perennials is an obvious contradiction. Think about it.

alijsyed wrote:

What part of annual don't you understand?

USDA Zone 8

No, you never flame.
Someone asked a simple question and got several thoughtful responses.
What part of polite don't you understand?
Callen in VA

The responses might have been "thoughtful" but didn't cut to the core issue. As Travis pointed out, "annual" has a specific meaning. Now, I know that some things are sold as "annuals" that might be perennial in a tropical climate. However, the OP used the term "annual" and that means the plant completes its lifecycle in a year or less. Since the subject line asked if annuals will survive for more than one year, a concise and thoughtful answer would have been "NO."

Actually, it would be "probably not" or "not worth it" as I stated. That being said, I have Geraniums on my windowsill that were in the garden three years ago and an Impatient plant that has lived and bloomed for four years in a strawberry pot just inside my patio door. It's even producing seed pods this year.
However, it was a long, hard struggle to get them going and then keep them alive until they were established indoors. They probably didn't start to look good until they were indoors for 18 months or more. If I didn't like blossoms in the winter so much, I would never have done it. Simply to save them to put them out next year would NOT be worth it.
Giselle
What you don't understand Rev. Twinkie is that Geraniums (actually Pelargonium) and Impatiens (not Impatient) are actually tender perennials grown as annuals and not annuals in the true botanical sense.
No matter how much you would like to bend time and space to fit your own prurient needs, true annuals will flower and die within one year without exception.

yes, but as long as you don't know what the OP has in her/his hanging baskets how do you know whether it's the one or the other?
as I happen to live in the tropics there aren't a lot of annuals here.
Maren, in Hilo, HI (going back to lurking)
Cereus-validus..... wrote:

Maren Purves wrote:

He/she has annuals he/she said so.

USDA Zone 8

The OP used the word "annuals" simply to identify a broad category of plants. While it is always a pleasure to notice someone (like you) who can define a word in such a scholarly and informative fashion, your explanation does not address the OP's question, nor does it reflect the actual experiences of lots of people who, in fact, have kept so-called annuals alive (and thriving) indoors during the winter.
Now, if we can persuade him to identify the plants, perhaps we can offer some advice before this turns into a discussion of Vietnam or abortion or other crap. :-)

that
plant
explanation
I suspect that people will have to go to Vietnam for an abortion in a couple of years.