Where should I plant Mugwort?

Page 3 of 3
contains these words:

??? LOL

You even shit on people who are sticking up for you? Nice.
On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 16:01:59 +0000 (UTC), EvilGoddessFragileWarrior

I have not one idea what you are talking about. The fact is, I do know a lot. I have been in the field of horticulture for decades. I am retired now, but have given lectures on the dangers, and advantages of herbs. All I did was simply say don't use herbs because someone said an artemesia pillow helps with sleep. That is idiotic, at best.
Also realize how you perceive me is a reflection you project on me. Worry about your own words and don't worry about mine. Filter me out if I'm such a douchebag in your eyes.
Jangchub wrote:

I didn't say Mugwort helps with sleep - I said it promotes dreaming. The caution would be that the dreams are not guaranteed to be pleasant.
Peace,
Kate

Is there a lick of evidence to support this claim? And no, I am not talking about major scientific study, just some sort of proof. My whold point was not to point out the artemesia, but to point out the potential dangers of using herbs without fully researching the potential side effects. That's all. Not rocket science and certainly not a lecture. You weren't the one I aimed my comments to, but if it appeared that way or if I'm wrong, I apologize.

Well, it's certainly documented as I read about it for a homework assignment and made the dream pillow (not well, I might add - sewing is not a talent I possess.) I gave a couple pillows as presents, minus the mugwort and used the one with mugwort myself. It certainly intensified my dreams, which is probably why I rarely use it anymore - lol.
Off to the gardens,
Kate

I think we are all on the same page here. No offense was intended. I was just trying to be supportive of Eve in cutting the pharmaceutical umbilical cord.
Sometimes we do get blind-sided by plants, take lavender for example. Turns out that compounds in lavender oil mimic estrogen and, in a few cases, little boys have started growing breasts. http://www.nih.gov/news/pr/jan2007/niehs-31.htm Gives me pause because I have a nearly half a bottle left of lavender massage oil that I use on my wife. (Could that be why those construction workers were looking at me the other day? Naaa)
Speaking of dats. My brother had a drop of dew from a brugmansia flower fall in his eye. His wife had to take him to the hospital when he started feeling dizzy and his vision blurred. They gave him a shot of something and, he was soon back up on his feet. He was a bit shaken by the experience but, otherwise fine.
Marijuana has been illegal since 1933, when Elliot Ness & Co. suddenly needed a "raison d'etre" due to the legalization of booze. No doubt about it though, marijuana can definitely be hazardous to your freedom. Smoking anything (combustion products), can't be good for you.
And I see that that popular populist, Evo Morales, is about to legalize, to some degree, coca in Bolivia.
That said, a person would be a fool to recreationally use amphetamines. Everybody but "tweekers" know their mind-eating and, physically punishing side-effects.
My favorite irritation is treating the dandelion as a weed when it is really a great diuretic that provides potassium, which most diuretics leach from your body.
Since we are in the same choir, I wouldn't start preaching at you.
Which leads me to,
Cloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly) - Bill

This interests me. I hadn't heard about this finding. I do take phytoestrogens and all my menapausal symptoms stopped within a week or two.

Yes, as a collector and grower of several varieties of Brugmansia, it is indeed very toxic both internally and systemically through skin, eye ducts, nose, mouth...etc. Not everyone who tries a Datura seed high, or a Brugmansia trip from the seeds knows it can destroy your mind in hours.

I don't know one person on the planet who died from smoking pot, but we have numbers in the hundreds of thousands who die directly from alcohol. That doesn't count the tens of thousands dead in car accidents. I'm only talking about people with liver disease and its related accompanying illness'. Pot should be legalized.

Probably out of desperation due to the drug cartels and the violence surrounding the drug trafficing trade. I have to think that one through. I had a cocaine habit in my twenties. I also had a choice to do it or not. I chose to do it. I'm paying now with health problems. I sure am glad I didn't know anything about smoking crack or methamphetamine when I was using drugs. Free base and crank came way after I already stopped.

Especially knowing what we know now about the drug.

You'd love my garden. I let them grow, bloom, and seed. They are a beautiful flower which is hard to kill and the remarkable thing is, if left alone will find a balance and not overtake the cultivated garden. Then again, my garden is specifically designed for wildlife and boy does it have it! Last night we counted 17 toads, all croaking through the night, then it stormed and they are asleep now. That's 17 in two small ponds. It sounded like the everglades back there LOL.

Probablyus mostus. Gimme me my Ben and Jerry's tribute ice cream "Americone Dream" which is dedicated to our favorite source for the news; "The Colbert Report."
The message

True, but long use is no guarantee of safety or efficacy, as other "old remedies" prove. Syphilis was treated with mercury. Both syphilis and mercury result in brain-damage and death so it was a long time before doctors realised that the treatment was also killing the patients.
Popular use may indicate effectiveness at relieving an acute health problem; but it's no guarantee it won't cause another..The connection between a popular herbal treatment for a common complaint, and longterm consequences such as cancer, organ failure or foetal damage, were not always recognised, in days when human physiology was barely understood. If you read old references to herbal medicine, it's noticeable how often the immediate effects were "purging". People often (mis) judged the efficacy of medication by results which today, are seen as a warning of toxicity.
For sure, be careful, check

True, but back then average life expectancy was below 50, and knowing what we do now about many plant properties, it's likely that the unsuspected longterm toxic side effects of herbal remedies killed and damaged some people, just as has happened with some modern medicines.Comfrey, for instance, was commonly used to help mend bone fractures (hence the folk name knitbone). Only fairly recently, was it found to contain carcinogenic alkaloids toxic to the liver (if taken internally).
I'm not against herbal remedies used with informed care, but it worries me when people think "natural " and "old" remedy means "harmless/safe". They should remember, plants are the source of some of the deadliest toxins, and that includes some popular garden, wild, and medicinal plants.
Janet.