What will happen to my tomato plant?

Last spring I planted a tomato plant in a pot too late for it to produce any fruit. A few months ago I brought it into the house and put it in the laundry room with a flourescent light. It's doing very well -- getting flowers on it and growing taller. Of course it's not producing fruit.

What will happen if I take this plant outside in the spring and plant it? Will it bare fruit, or just continue to grow without bearing fruit?

Thanks in advance,

Reply to
Suzie-Q

If it lasts that long it should bear fruit. If it's developing flowers, it has the right conditions.

escape

It should bear fruit if you take a fine paint brush and do a little hand pollinating. Supposedly the folks at Disney do this in the hydroponics garden.

They will, of course, be naked. You will have to dress them your self.

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Tomatoes are wind pollinated so all one need do is shake the plant, vigorously. Of course, doing the paintbrush may assure pollination took place, but it's not necessary.

escape

The easiest way to produce fruit is to hand pollinate daily using an electric toothbrush. I have 12 tomatoe plants in my greenhouse and 6 of them are producing tomatoes. The other 6 are just starting to bloom.

Marv - Montezuma, IA

Reply to
VMWOOD

Greenhouse tomato producers frequently just walk down the row and pluck the strings that support the tomato plants. The vibrations are enough to pollinate the flowers. No equipment required.

VMWOOD wrote:

Reply to
dps