What to do with a tree stump

We have a very large old tree (2.5 foot diameter) that is dying. It is in the middle of a 10 foot diameter flower bed with flowering bulbs close to the tree and annuals planted around the outside edge. I do not want to have the stump ground up after we take the tree down as that would obliterate the flower bed. Does anyone have any ideas of something we could do with the stump that would be decorative and still allow us to enjoy both the spring flower bulbs and plant annuals ?

Ideas are infinite; potted anuals, bird bath, sun dial, gazing ball, gqarden sculpture...
On Sun, 24 May 2009 14:15:37 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net"

If you don't remove the stump, it will be there for a very long time. White oak will be there twice as long as pine. I have seen a lot of ugly ivy-covered stumps, but some think it looks good.

Use a chainsaw to cross hatch the top of the stump, treat with a normal fertilizer, and shovel some dirt from the flower bed on top the stump. Soil bacteria and fungus will take over, and the fertilizer will feed them, as well.
Not fast, but safe.

Thanks for the ideas, I think I will try to make the final cut as close to the ground as possible, cut out whatever I can with my chain saw, and then cover it with dirt, A raised flowerbed would be ok with my wife as far as I can figure out.