What to bring back from Costa Rica?

We're going to Costa Rica April/May for 3 weeks on a naturalist tour of most of the country.

We are keen gardeners in England, in US terms about zone 9, and would like suggestions as to what we could usefully bring back for the outdoor garden. Seeds, not plants obviously. We have plenty of space, our site is exposed to the wind, but only gets a degree or two below freezing at worst.

Also some recommendations as to good places to obtain seeds?

Thanks

Nick and Nick

Reply to
Nicks40

If you looked around you'd find a lot of Canna growing, and I'd be happy to pay postage for canna seeds from there. I once had one from there when I was in Hawaii and it's bloom was unlike any others I've seen. Sadly I lost it during the move so I'm always watching for anyone going there. I've been told there's lots of many types of I.Canna growing down there.

Reply to
Starlord

How about malaria?

The best place to find seeds is in mature fruit!!!

Reply to
Cereus-validus.....

Montazuma's Revenge :)

Reply to
Snooze

Brush up on your geography, Snoozey.

Montezuma's Revenge would be if they visited Mexico.

Reply to
Cereus-validus.....

I realize that Montezuma was near Mexico city, but Montezuma's Revenge is diarrhea and related sickness caused by an e. coli infection, usually from drinking contaminated water, something you can get just about anywhere in the world. Are you this pedantic outside of usenet?

Since we're quoting urls, try this one since it's much more topical. In particular the 2nd paragraph.

Snooze

Id bring back just information. Morgan & Morgan may have the seeds. Also bring back your impression of a charming people.

Exporting plants may be possible but these days may require quarantine and more.

Have a great visit!

Bill

Reply to
William Wagner

Are you as much of a pants load of crap in real life, Snoozer?

Reply to
Cereus-validus.....

There probably aren't many seeds you can't obtain from mail order or online. I would concentrate on getting local lore on plants you see and fancy. Keep in mind that "a degree or 2 below freezing" is fatal to many/most tropicals.

Reply to
Frogleg

The message from Frogleg contains these words:

True, but many turn out to be tougher than you'd think. Climate change in the UK means that in some areas, it's becoming possible to grow hardier tropicals outdoors , and UK gardeners are pushing the boundaries all the time to make the most of it. It's more or less a national obsession here atm, and there are some fabulous modern gardens growing palms, bananas, gingers etc. I'd suggest the OP asks the same question in uk.rec.gardening and catch the attention of Dave Poole, who has a garden of tropicals to die for and is an expert on tropicals in the UK.

There is a terrific kick in bringing home exotic seeds from some tropical trip to our cooler climate and seeing if , and where, they grow/survive. This must be the thrill the Victorian plant hunters and collectors felt :-) If they survive, the plant means so much more because it's a souvenir of that trip. Buying the same thing from a catalogue just ain't the same.

Janet (Scotland)

Reply to
Janet Baraclough

^_^ I agree completely. Just as bringing a seed home in your pocket and starting your own plant is more (much) satisfying than picking one out at the garden center. However, I still think it would be more productive to spent time learning as much about the different plants as possible, rather than poking around trying to locate a seed seller.

Reply to
Frogleg

The message from Frogleg contains these words:

However, I still think it would be more

? Anywhere that tourists go these days, there's always some enterprising person offering local seeds.

Janet

Reply to
Janet Baraclough