What is Your Favorite Online Nursery?

Avoid Gurneys. The same company that owns them also runs Michigan Bulb, Breck, Spring Hill and several other companies. They all should be avoided. Their plants are very small and quite often their perennials don't make it through their first season (no matter how well you take care of them). Some of the companies (like Spring Hill) have a "lifetime" replacement policy but that is such a hassle and it puts you one year behind in your garden. You are much better off just buying good plants.

This time of year a lot of people are planting bulbs for their spring garden. Two places that have excellent quality bulbs are John Scheepers, Inc. and Van Egelen, Inc. Both are run by the same company.

Reply to
Bill R

Isn't most catalog paper too slick for that:-)?

Reply to
Billy

I go along with dr-solo for Starks, at least for fruit trees. Any nursery that doesn't specify what root stocks are used are suspect for problems. Starks commercial operation does a better job of this, but their regular sales do not have control of their rootstocks. This can be a problem if they put the wrong one on your tree and you get a full size tree when you expected a dwarf.

I like Muesser Forest for reasonably priced evergreens. They sometimes fail, but Muesser is very good about replacing them.

There are many good nurseries where they do specify the rootstocks, or will even custom make a tree for you with your choice of variety and rootstock. Included would be nurseries like Raintree and Trees of Antiquity. Consumers should check the catalogs or online descriptions for suppliers that give these kinds of details. Otherwise, you are buying a 'supermarket' tree, and you may or may not get what you want.

Sherw> snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com wrote:

Reply to
sherwindu

Thanks for all your input folks.. Quite a few good merchants you all listed and I'll surely have a ton of fun going through each to pick and choose things to buy! :)

Appreciate it greatly.

Reply to
Scott Hildenbrand

Reply to
dr-solo

Reply to
dr-solo

Miller's.

Bill

Reply to
William Wagner

That was one of my favorite places to order from when I was buying lots more plants.

Cheryl Isaak