What is Your Favorite Online Nursery?

Page 1 of 2
Ok, so inquiring minds want to know.
What is your favorite online nursery to order plants from.
If you order from several, what types of plants do you order from each.
IE: Trees at blah Perennials at hurm Bushes at wee
Looking forward to all your input on who you think is the best.. :)

Why?
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Beyond the point that I asked?
Well, never mind.. I'll just stick with that I'd like to know, and I'm sure others may be interested in who people consider reputable merchants online for plants.
But whatever.
On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 21:07:38 -0500, Scott Hildenbrand

LOL.......
Chuckling Charlie

Did it occur to you that nurseries specialize in different types of plants and online ones are no different? How can anyone give you advice when you haven't told us what kind of plants you want?
But, whatever. I guess your going to have to figure that out yourself.
Ted
Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

Yes, actually it did.. Considering I'm not looking for anything specific I really feel no need to narrow it down. New home, new yard, so in terms of what "I" need it's wide open.
Thanks though, I will certainly enjoy figuring it out.. :)
On 10/22/07 3:00 PM, in article Fq6Ti.7081$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews5.bellsouth.net,

Email me in the spring for a care box. Cost of postage only... C
On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 19:38:55 -0500, Scott Hildenbrand

I've been pleased with trees from Stark Brothers.
http://www.starkbros.com /
Garden centers often carry Stark Bros. stcok as well.
Here is a review, http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/189 /
Charlie
Charlie wrote:

Seems like a pretty good place with an OK selection.. Even brighter is their selection of grape vines, which I need to get more of.. :)
Wonder if I can still safely plant new vines (zone 6) this time of year.
Oh Charlie..... starks is horrible. they graft stuff onto incompatible rootstocks (well they did 20 years ago or so). I rate them with Gurneys. Ingrid
On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 21:15:25 -0500, Charlie wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com wrote:

20 years is a long time for them to realize mistakes and correct them..
Glad you said something about Gurneys.. Was looking through their stock just yesterday. Take it they're not great?
Scott Hildenbrand wrote:

Avoid Gurneys. The same company that owns them also runs Michigan Bulb, Breck, Spring Hill and several other companies. They all should be avoided. Their plants are very small and quite often their perennials don't make it through their first season (no matter how well you take care of them). Some of the companies (like Spring Hill) have a "lifetime" replacement policy but that is such a hassle and it puts you one year behind in your garden. You are much better off just buying good plants.
This time of year a lot of people are planting bulbs for their spring garden. Two places that have excellent quality bulbs are John Scheepers, Inc. and Van Egelen, Inc. Both are run by the same company.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening for over 40 years
I go along with dr-solo for Starks, at least for fruit trees. Any nursery that doesn't specify what root stocks are used are suspect for problems. Starks commercial operation does a better job of this, but their regular sales do not have control of their rootstocks. This can be a problem if they put the wrong one on your tree and you get a full size tree when you expected a dwarf.
I like Muesser Forest for reasonably priced evergreens. They sometimes fail, but Muesser is very good about replacing them.
There are many good nurseries where they do specify the rootstocks, or will even custom make a tree for you with your choice of variety and rootstock. Included would be nurseries like Raintree and Trees of Antiquity. Consumers should check the catalogs or online descriptions for suppliers that give these kinds of details. Otherwise, you are buying a 'supermarket' tree, and you may or may not get what you want.
Sherwin
Scott Hildenbrand wrote:

its one of those funny things. if they send you a catalogue for free and you didnt order from them or ask for it, dont buy from em. I forgot Forest Farm on my list. I think that is where I got several varieties of forsythia to try out see which one did best. whatcha looking for?????
On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 14:10:00 -0500, Scott Hildenbrand

On 10/23/07 2:32 PM, in article 471e3ce0$0$1347$ snipped-for-privacy@reader.greatnowhere.com, " snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com"

That was one of my favorite places to order from when I was buying lots more plants.
On Oct 22, 3:09 pm, snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com wrote:

*snip*
Don't know about 20 years ago (I was only 4 then!!), but I ordered from Stark Bros. about 7 months ago, and was happy (& i still am!) with what I got. Personally, my favorite for other things is Spring Hill (springhillnursery.com). Love their sells & haven't had a problem with them yet. They have a nice color catalog also...
~Rae
wait until the third year and the tree just dies from incompatible rootstock, or the dwarf tree isnt. there is a worse outfit up in candindegua (sp??) that put all the stone fruits on sand cherry. they all died third year. waste of time. spring hill? tooooo funny. Ingrid

snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com wrote:

Miller's.
Bill
--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

I just got the best plants I ever bought online from FantasticPlants.com. Big healthy things...conifers, maples, boxwoods and so on. Got some dandy azaleas from RarePlants.com too.
They will both be hearing from me again!
--
Toni
Hills of Kentucky

I like fairweather. They have open houses where you can pickup your plants.
http://www.fairweathergardens.com /
Bill
Ps their catalogue is a great reference.
--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade