What is This Tree, and What Can I Do About It?

You are stuck with his tree dropping its seeds and leaves where ever they fall.

Reply to
Travis

The green things are leaves and the white pods with seeds in them are seed pods.

No, he can't cut a neighbors tree down. But, yes, he can remove the portions of branches that are on his side of the property line.

It does look a lot like Cedar Elm - Ulmus crassifolia

Stephen Henning

He'd be wise to use a reputable tree service for that. People have been successfully sued for butchering neighbors' trees. He also might want to observe the prevailing winds before having the tree trimmed. Otherwise, the trim may end up being useless.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

The problem is that some people think that participants in a newsgroup have some special knowledge when in fact everyone here is just as ignorant as the average person. Of course no one here would agree with that.

Reply to
<Scooter Pup>

True, sometimes. But, it takes NO special knowledge to know that you cannot cut down a tree that's on your neighbor's property. Some towns allow you to trim the part that overhangs your property line, but the OP should be warned that it's easy to use a saw incorrectly and really screw up a tree. He'd be liable for that damage.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Ken Hall wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I have no suggestions about what to do about them other than learn to live with them. Elms are one of the most popular shade trees in North America - for good reasons. However, in many areas they have been attacked by Dutch elm disease (a fungus spread by a beetle).

Reply to
Alfred Falk

In article , says... :) as ignorant as the :) average person. Of course no one here would agree with that. :) :) :) I'll have you know Mister, that my ignorance is above average.....

Reply to
Lar

Thanks for the many thoughtful replies. It's clear after the bulk of the replies came rolling in there are many helpful people here.

Thanks again.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Hall

Legally you aren't able to do anything unless the tree presents a danger to you or your property. Soooooo....

Ken, try to get to know the new neighbor a little bit before discussing the tree problem. Then one day when you're visiting his yard, casually comment on all that awful stuff that falls out of the tree messing up his lawn. Commiserate with him about you getting the same darn seed pods tracked into your house too. Suggest you would happily pay part of the tree removal costs and see what he says. Then try to agree on a suitable replacement tree or trees/shrubs, whatever.

Good luck.

BT

Reply to
BT

I believe that this is a paulownia tree. And there ARE jillions of little seeds. Do they have purple flowers in the spring? Big, big leaves?

There is nothing you can do other than put up something between you and the seeds. A hedge perhaps? Screened in porch? Mosquito netting?

chula

Reply to
lookie.here