What is This Tree, and What Can I Do About It?

Page 2 of 2
You are right. Marilyn

Next time the house is for sale buy it. Then it will be your tree. You'll be able to do what ever you want.
snipped-for-privacy@houston.rr.com says... :) So again, what is this tree and what can I do about it. I haven't :) talked to the latest owner of the house with the tree, but the :) previous owner very politely said $#&@ off. When I speak to the new :) neighbor I'd like to know if I have any recourse. Is there anything I :) can do to force them to remove this tree? :) :) The seeds look like cedar elm, which do mature in the fall..can't really tell with you pic if it is though...not really a lot you can do about a neighbor controlling blowing seeds.
--
Lar

Oh, if only Noah would of been a bit more wise,
Lar In article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com,
snipped-for-privacy@houston.rr.com says... :) So again, what is this tree and what can I do about it. I haven't :) talked to the latest owner of the house with the tree, but the :) previous owner very politely said $#&@ off. When I speak to th new :) neighbor I'd like to know if I have any recourse. Is ther anything I :) can do to force them to remove this tree? :) :) The seeds look like cedar elm, which do mature in the fall..can' really tell with you pic if it is though...not really a lot you can do abou a neighbor controlling blowing seeds. -- Lar
Oh, if only Noah would of been a bit more wise, he surely would of swatted those two flies.
to email....get rid of the BUGS
not sure what kind of tree that is. to bad u didnt know how big it wa going to get when u first moved in there otherwise u might have though twice about it lol. the problem u have is called a private nuisance. here is a link tha might or might not help. but if u do take court action against thes ppl i think i would consider moving first because the cost might b somewhat high.
sockiescat.
http://tinyurl.com/blsn
-- sockiescat

Nope.
Ken, if I were you, and doing outside projects, such as painting, during the time the seeds are flying, I would simply put a very large tarp (they come in sizes up to 50 feet long) over the area I'm working on, until the paint or glue dries sufficiently. You can secure it to the rooftop or gutter and pin it onto a piece of siding or whatever you have available to keep it from blowing away. There is really nothing you can do to force someone else to cut down a tree. If that were the case, plenty of homeowners in the US would have carte blanche to kill their neighbors' lawns dead in the spring during the period when dandelion seeds are blowing hither and yon.

Those are the seeds of an elm tree (_Ulmus_ species). I have no suggestions about what to do about them other than learn to live with them. Elms are one of the most popular shade trees in North America - for good reasons. However, in many areas they have been attacked by Dutch elm disease (a fungus spread by a beetle).
A L B E R T A Alfred Falk snipped-for-privacy@arc.ab.ca
Thanks for the many thoughtful replies. It's clear after the bulk of the replies came rolling in there are many helpful people here.
Thanks again.
Ken
Legally you aren't able to do anything unless the tree presents a danger to you or your property. Soooooo....
Ken, try to get to know the new neighbor a little bit before discussing the tree problem. Then one day when you're visiting his yard, casually comment on all that awful stuff that falls out of the tree messing up his lawn. Commiserate with him about you getting the same darn seed pods tracked into your house too. Suggest you would happily pay part of the tree removal costs and see what he says. Then try to agree on a suitable replacement tree or trees/shrubs, whatever.
Good luck.
BT

I believe that this is a paulownia tree. And there ARE jillions of little seeds. Do they have purple flowers in the spring? Big, big leaves?
There is nothing you can do other than put up something between you and the seeds. A hedge perhaps? Screened in porch? Mosquito netting?
chula