What is this tree?

I have a young tree about 5 ft tall. It is blooming for the first time now. Would like to know what it is. The leaves are narrow, and not pointed at all, they are oval-shaped. It is not an evergreen, that much is sure. The flowers don't seem to have a scent. They are in clusters. Each flower is yellow and about 1 inch in diameter. Each has five large front petals, and behind these main petals, there are five more much smaller petals. Any idea what this tree is?

now.
idea
Try doing an image search on Google
Which keyword do you want him to Google search?
"Tree"?
That should really narrow things down..............NOT!

The
and
Where on the planet are you?
Why don't you post a picture of it on alt.binaries.pictures.gardens?
Your description is inadequate for identification.

now.
idea
A understory tree that has spiral yellow flowers in the fall is the witch hazel. Its a wonderful plant with nice flowers in fall. When I think of fall and yellow flowers I think of Witch Hazel. Maybe not your baby, but it does bloom in fall. http://www.chesco.com/~treeman/unique_features/unique_flowers.html
--
Sincerely,

John A. Keslick, Jr.

Witch Hazel blooms in the winter here.... February or so if I remember correctly... :o) Colleen Zone 5 CT

your
Hamamelis virginiana is a fall blooming witch hazel common to wide areas of the east coast. Perhaps less widely planted than the late winter blooming hybrids, but a lovely native plant nonetheless. But I have a hard time fitting the OP's description to a witch hazel - the leaves are not exactly what could be considered narrow (although definitely oval in shape) and the flowers are comprised of narrow little petals like spiders. Certainly a possibility, though.
pam - gardengal
It is definitely not witch hazel. Those flowers are yellow, but they look spidery...each petal is like a very narrow leg. And as I said, there are exactly five petals in front that are probably each 1/8 in wide, and another five of the same shape, but half as big, behind the front petals. There are about four long, prominent stamens sticking up from the center of the flower. Yea, a picture would make ID a lot easier, but I don't have access to any binary newsgroups through my cable ISP. Perhaps there is some website that is sort of an encyclopedia of trees showing the flowers for each?

now.
idea