What did people do today in the garden?

Page 2 of 2
On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 19:11:29 -0500, "Manelli Family"

I weeded AGAIN/STILL -- this time in the veggie patch.
Also continued tearing/cutting down entrenched post-bloom Wisteria which had congregated under and over the roof of my back porch. As I am very small, I used a ladder, and as I have injuries on my dominant hand, I struggled with loppers and pruners. You should see the mess that got hauled away! Including two birds' nests. Still much to be removed, especially what has overgrown the main house roof. Nobody warned me about Wisteria...sob...! But the blooms were magnificent this year.
Also finally planted corn among the cucumbers.
Also removed approx 100 tons of pine needles from the midst of two "guardian" shrubs on my front walk. Now wondering if I did the right thing. Will take and post a picture under Subject "Shrubs and pine needles" on <alt.binaries.pictures.gardens> showing how shrub appearance has changed for the worse.
Also watered veg patch as well as one flower bed in front and one in back. This is So. Calif coastal, which had very little precipitation during our "rainy season", purportedly Nov-March. Global warming in full, menacing swing.
Persephone
(even goddesses can get achy muscles after exertion)
Got up at 6am . made tea and wandered round the garden in dressing gown with mug of tea. Another clear sunny day. The rubbish-tip rhododendron had just opened it's first flower. I found this 4ft high plant 2 years ago on the rubbish tip at my volunteer job, waiting to be burned, and brought it home, not sure it would survive; there wasn't much root and after planting I had to weigh them down with boulders to make sure it didn't blow away. This is its first flowering, the flowers are large, flared, white, deliciously and strongly scented of lemony honey. It must have been a left over or reject from a reclaimed woodland area called the "secret scented garden". which we cleared and planted with scented rhodos some years back.
This afternoon when I got home I put on my new sunhat and finished weeding the big triangle bed while John spread out the cow manure mulch on it; then I covered the cow manure layer with a thick layer (5") of grassclippings. While weeding found two self- seedlings of the cotoneaster boundary hedge, and planted them into its gaps. Dumped weeds in compost heap. One neighbour had left a sack of grass clippimgs and another brought a sack of shredded paper; more food for compost heap.
Golden hop (humulus lupus aurea) is rampaging up the black trellis which screens the oil tank; I wove in some escaped tendrils and layered a few into pots for the open-gardens plant sale at midsummer. Planted out half a dozen golden rush plants (forgot name) in front of some very black phormiums Sat on the cliff-view seat with tea (again) husband cat and dog, enjoying the sun; the sea was blue with small white caps.
Janet (Isle of Arran, Scotland).
On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 00:20:20 +0100, Janet Baraclough

Damn, that .sig makes me yearn! I LOVED Arran when I drove (and ferried) around Scotland, mainly the Highlands, a few years ago! Stayed with local hosts through a hospitality network. They couldn't have been more cordial.
Driving on wrong side of the road in a non-automatic car with the wheel on the wrong side, maneuvering through those infamous roundabouts WAS a bit of a challenge, but I returned intact, with such fabulous memories of the trip!
Persephone

from Persephone contains these words:

Glad you liked it; it is exceptionaly friendly .

Nah, I know you can't mean Arran's roads, where there are no roundabouts, or traffic lights, or zebra crossings, and lots of roads so narrow that if you meet an approaching vehicle one of you has to back up to a passing place :-)
Janet.
On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 00:20:20 +0100, Janet Baraclough

Sounds like just another day in paradise. v