What Animal Will Eat The Tops Off Onion Plants?

My neighbor planted some spring onion sets in his garden last week and told me that something chewed the tops off of two rows. We live in town and have rabbits, squirrels and every once in awhile a possum passes through. I'm about to plant my own onion sets this coming week and this has me a bit concerned. Does anyone know of any animal that will bother onions???
Rich

When I was a boy and lived on a farm our cows would eat the tops off of the wild onion plants that grew in our pastures.
I imagine most animals that are herbivorous would enjoy them as an occasional snack
Freckles -----------------------------------------------------
On 4/17/2010 5:33 PM, Freckles wrote:

eating tops would indicate something like them. Groundhog is another possibility. For those that really want to know you buy a trail camera such as sold by Cabela's and other hunter suppliers.
EVP MAN;883813 Wrote: > My neighbor planted some spring onion sets in his garden last week and

> town

> this

> bother

Rabbits had the tops off mine
--
tel

EVP MAN said:

Don't overlook cutworms. They love tender onion shoots and they don't always leave cut pieces behind when they hit your onions.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

White_Noise snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (EVP MAN) wrote:

Humans - I love onion tops :)
--
Enjoy Life... Dan

Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.
EVP MAN wrote:

Mine don't have tops yet; I just planted them a couple of days ago, very shallowly with the tips of the bulbs sticking out of the ground. Something dug most of them up and scattered them about last night. (I bet it was a squirrel.)
Bob

Here in NY we plant bulbs in the fall, they begin to grow in spring as soon as the ground thaws. Until they become established newly planted bulbs should be covered with some sort of wire screen that can be removed once more mature growth is achieved. My neighbor covers his onions and garlic with a blanket of straw held down with a kind of plastic screening. In spring once the bulbs show significant growth then the screen and straw are removed. I've learned to do the same with flowering bulbs, I place straw and chicken wire over my newly planted daffodils. Even though critters won't eat daffodils some will pull them up just to be sure. Once daffodils develop their roots then they won't be pulled up to be checked, so it's only when first planted that they need the protection. Daffodils and onion are in the same family, alium.

problems since laying down 2" X 4" wire mesh. I won't be taking it off because everything that I'm growing can grow throug a 2" X 4" wire mesh.
--
- Billy
zxcvbob wrote:

I checked on the onions today and a few of them were dug up again (grrr), but not the whole row this time. A robin flew away as I went out there; I bet he was pulling them up and I just thought it was a squirrel. And it might be a bird picking the tops off of EVP's onions.
I replanted them again and covered 'em with a layer of corn straw that had been used as chicken litter. The chickens pretty well shredded it, and it had a lot of dust and some feathers in it but not much poop so it shouldn't burn the plants.
Bob
On Saturday, April 17, 2010 8:51:00 AM UTC-7, EVP MAN wrote:

I had the same thing happen in my garden yesterday. We too are within city limits and have the occasional raccoon & skunks and also some turkeys, but no deer or rabbits. We have dogs and cats that come into our yard, but that's it. Any ideas?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com said:

The only pests that have ever eaten onion tops in my garden are cutworms. A single cutworm can mow down several baby onions in one night. It will be buried in the soil at one end of its path of destruction.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

a long time ago...

limits and have the occasional raccoon & skunks and also some turkeys, but no deer or rabbits. We have dogs and cats that come into our yard, but that's it. Any ideas? if it is a garden that you can rake, take i fine toothed rake and rake it until the soil is fluffy and smooth it out. next time an animal comes through it will leave tracks.
otherwise, it might be a dog or cat as they can eat greens from time to time (seems to make them barf, but perhaps that is what they do when they get an upset stomach).
good luck,
songbird
On Saturday, April 17, 2010 at 10:51:00 AM UTC-5, EVP MAN wrote:

The pinoglasiun smoll pond eats them to