well water vs public water - cost

Page 1 of 3
My house has public water and well water in the basement that's only available for garden purposes. Does any one know what is the cost of using well + electric pump vs public water? Let's assume that the water quality is not an issue here. I live in NJ (northern Jersey) and so far I only got 1 water bill for $0. We have recently moved into the house so I don't know the bills look like. I know I'm getting high electric bill mainly because of the AC but not sure it the well pump is part of it.
Thanks, Jack

"...not sure if the well pump is part of it."
Part of WHAT? The electric bill? If the pump has been running, then it is "part of" the bill. Has the pump been running?
The pump has been running and it's part of my bill but how much of my electric bills ranging from $49 - $275 is the well pump?. I just would like to know from experience form other people if the well + pump is more cost efficient than public water?

You'll need to check the pump and tell us its rated watts, as well as how many hours per day it runs.

Too many unknowns and variables to be able to say, so just buy a "Kill-a-Watt" meter and insert it into the pump wiring. That way you'll know exactly how much your pump is part of your electric bill.
--
Grandpa
Killing all posts from Google Groups
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

.....and the price of water.
--

Travis in Shoreline Washington

Depends on how often you bathe and flush. <g>
Generally well water is much less expensive per gallon than municipal water... the electric usage is negligible for typical residential use. BUT, private wells eventually require maintenance, usually costly... and usually some water treatment equipment is needed too. If you have the option for both a private well and municipal water I would from personal experience strongly suggest you use both, the municipal water for drinking, washing and the usual indoor stuff, and use your well for large volume outdoor use like watering lawns, plants, gardens, washing cars. boats, etc.
But bottom line, it's really not possible for anyone to know your particular water usage but you.

If the well water is a hard line (not soften with a softener). I personally would not use the well water to wash my car, home or any thing you may value,. The heavy mineral content will damage your nice paint job. Grass and plants sure, food stuff may depend on your TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) levels. Use the soft line for washing things. Electric use on my well pump system is cheap, my guess less than $10 per month. My softener does not use electric power it runs on the water pressure from the well tank. My softener cost about $10 / month (salt/filter), Purification $150 / 400 gallons (filters). My entire electric bill has never been over $50/month here in the country. I have central air but rarely use it. When I lived in the city, my water bill was more than $30/month.
If your softener uses power, that is another story, bypass it, shut it off, it loves electric power, each night running and causing your well pump to run more often. Use the city water for bathing, drinking and be merry :)
How many refrigerators you have, they are real electric lovers :)
When I make a post, I find the thread quickly ends :) Enjoy Life ..... Dan
--
Email "dan lehr at comcast dot net". Text only or goes to trash automatically.

Dan L. wrote:

[....]
[....]
yea, out of context but worth the mention. do NOT ever put well water or city water in a radiator. the mineral content in both will clog the radiator. use only store bought distilled water.
I talking car, truck, tractor ... ect type radiators.

That's not true, in fact it's pure BS. Many very large municipalities have exceptionally soft water naturally... NYC has very soft water, Long Island water is filtered through it's natural aquifer, exceptionally soft water results. But modern radiator coolant (ie. Prestone, etc.) takes care of any water mineral deposits, and more importantly prevents boil overs by raising the boiling point... never ever use plain water in a radiator for any vehicle no matter how mineral free. Using distilled water in a raditor is something you just made up out of thin air, a crock of doodoo.

That's not true, in fact you are off ... mmmm ... aahh ... slightly.
Another person wrote the radiator question, not me Dan L.
Surface water, like lakes, ponds, rivers and aquifers tend to be low in mineral content and high in biologicals. Water from these sources are very soft. Some exceptions like the dead sea :)
Well water is different, most are high in minerals and low in biologicals. Well water is what we are talking about, not surface water. Most wells are deep, mine is 150 feet deep into the ground.
Now if I am reading this correctly, If you are saying all forms of water are bad for radiators, including distilled ... I agree. I always use the premixes anyways. However, the poster of the radiator question has some merits. They the powers that be also make pet friendly radiator mixes.
Enjoy Life .... Dan
--
Email "dan lehr at comcast dot net". Text only or goes to trash automatically.

Jim wrote:

Wrong. You should only use the recommended type of coolant in your car, truck etc.
--

Travis in Shoreline Washington

Determine the power consumption of your pump to deliver 1 gallon of water. You could hook up a VOM to measure current flow. From that you can get kilowatt hours used. There is also a maintenance/repair estimate cost to add. Also, the deeper the well, the higher the cost.

I've had it both ways, and usually come out ahead using the well water + pump electricity. One variable to check, though, is whether your city bills for water with a minimum usage assumption. If you would be under the minimum usage, even with watering, you'd be further ahead to go with the city. I know it sounds insane to think you could water and remain under the minimum, but I do it; don't know if my city has a high minimum usage assumption or I'm just exceptionally thrifty with water.
Jo Ann

You are probably exceptionally thrifty in all regards, very few households ever get a water bill with usage below the minimum... you must have been a navy submariner. <g>
wrote in message

She may have even been to the sub races a few times.
I'd take a low profile. Having two sources of water here in S.J. Requires the old well being capped which is not trivial cost.
Bill
--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

Nope, not naval, just lived in the Southwest in an area that didn't have a water supply. Learned to be really miserly with it. Have been to the sub races a time or two, though...:-)
Jo Ann
absolutely, well + electric is WAAAAY cheaper. for city water they charge BOTH for the water AND the sewage treatment.
well water is much better too instead of softened water (if you have hard water). Ingrid

snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com expounded:

True if there are sewers in the area. There's plenty of area around here with no sewers. My water bill is around $280 a year.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts