warmer weather!

Hey Y'all! How is everyone's weather today? It's 79 degrees right now, and the nice weather really has me in the gardening mood today! Too bad it's still to early in the year for much planting around here. It's a beautiful day for it. I'm thinking on going out in a bit and washing the van, but we are actually expected to have some rain storms tonight. Oh, well! Just thought I'd check in! Rachael aka ~Rae

Reply to
rachael simpson

Weather here was nice and cozy for a while.. Cold front blew in though so it's cold, rainy and windy as crud.. At least the tornado warnings are gone for now.

Scott--

Reply to
Scott Hildenbrand

Hi Rae

79 deg. would indeed make anyone want to go out and plant! We have just gotten up to 60 here. But I have been doing lots of cleaning up and pruning. Started tomato seeds, which are up and growing now. (inside). The nights are warmer, in the 40s which is nice. Probably will not have much more hard frost. I hope. Good to hear that you are still around

Emilie NorCal

Reply to
mleblanca

Hmmm .... I am almost knee deep in snow in SE Michigan 27 degrees. Got 8 inches of the white stuff yesterday. Still dreaming of spring Hmmmm .... Enjoy the warmth .... Dan

Reply to
Dan L.

Hi Emilie! Thanks, I've been lurking around when I have the time. The little ones are keeping me busy as ever these days! I can't wait to get some seeds started....just don't have a place to start them in the house, and most places in the yard aren't safe either thanks to our assortment of animals running around. I generally just sow directly in the garden, no transplanting. Makes for slower harvests, but it's what works for us now. When the kids are older or when things pick up with farming (whichever comes first! lol!) I want to have a "plant area" in the house, and hopefully a greenhouse outside. Temperatures still fluctuate quite a bit, but still strange weather for us around here the past year! It's 59 degrees now, expected to stay about that into the middle of next week, but weather forecast changes from breakfast to supper here! These so called weather experts on TV sure don't know much. I guess they think that by changing it so often, they are sure to get one forecast right by the time that day gets here. Crazy, huh? What type of tomato seeds did you plant? I'm thinking of experimenting this year...plant some different stuff. Well, I hear the littlest one stirring, her nap time is over I guess! ~Rae

Reply to
rachael simpson

On Feb 8, 12:02 pm, rachael simpson

Well we made it up to 66 today. Low last night was 34; 32 deg difference I usually start things inside because the slugs/snails just love a newly germinating seed snack. I don't grow a big veg garden-sometimes just a few tomatoes. There are only 2 of us so don't need many plants. This year Parks Whopper, Beefy Boy and Sweet 100 will do it. Also have some Walla Walla onions going and some spinach.There will be a FEW squash. I'm also starting a some Jalapeno and Cayenne peppers for son's garden. I start them in yogurt cups on top of the frig.and then on the south window sill for sun when they're up and growing.

We took a drive out to Black Butte Lake, took lunch, did some birding, went for a short hike, and picked up aluminum cans ( it's a little gas money) After getting home I cut back all the ornamental grasses. Got to do it _before_ it starts putting out new growth!! Not fun to be too late with that job. Willows are looking very yellow-green and almond blossoms will be popping open very soon. Emilie NorCal

Reply to
mleblanca

Oh, it was so nice to go hiking and birding today with just a sweater instead of a heavy old coat hat and gloves. We could look up and see the mountains with about 10 feet of snow........beautiful when you don't have to be IN it! Hang on. Spring is on her way! The almond blossoms will soon be out. The orchards are Full of downed trees that have been cut up. Firewood will be cheap this year. Emilie NorCal

Reply to
mleblanca

Fantastic!! It sure feels good doesnt it. (But watch out, Spring has her bag of little "jokes" she likes to play) Southern Utah: beautiful country. Want to get back to Capitol Reef soon....... Emilie

Reply to
mleblanca

Hot dang. 55/35 today. It's warming up!

Steve, in extreme SW Utah.

Reply to
SteveB

Well seems we are heading that way to! lucky devils!

Reply to
spoona22