Viticulture II

Thanks for the kind words... maybe next time you guys can be nicer. not the only one asking questions here. People don't appreciate being spoken to like you guys did (Val and JoeSpareBedroom) You guys are very rude

Reply to
josi

Rude?

OK. I'm sorry. You're right. I should've been nicer. Here:

Viticulture is the cultivation of grapes, especially for winemaking.

Happy now?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

hell no don't tell me what viticulture is thanks i know what it is thank you very much. Why dont you go and kiss your own ass

Reply to
josi

Well, what did you want to know about viticulture?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Don't worry you arent of any help to me So get lost

Reply to
josi

You aren't of any help to yourself. Remember your original message? Here it is, in case you were hoping nobody noticed how dumb it was:

"hey. can anyone here help me with viticulture?"

Help you with what, you twit?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Hey, I have to agree with Josi on this one. She just asked a simple question and did not get a nice answer in return. It's not like she was posting spam or being impolite. Personally, i would have responded, but I don't have any experience in that area. I'm wish that people could ask questions without having to worry that they may receive condescending remarks for their efforts.

That's my 2 cents.

~Tad

Reply to
Tad

We have 2,000 grape plants so I could give you some help on some aspects of viticulture, BUT, you didn't mention where you live and since posters here are from all round the world and we can't give advice without knowing something about your climate, aspect, planting area etc or what you want to know about viticulture, why would anyone bother? Either put some thought into the question about the sort of advice you are really seeking or go to a library or try google.

Reply to
FarmI

Then you're as dumb as she is. Volumes have been written about viticulture. Which aspect do YOU think she's asking about?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Thank God, a thoughtful way of saying you're question is so vague it defies answer.

No need to be overly rude to the OP. Their question was indeed vague but I'd chock that up to inexperience with news groups.

Reply to
Scott Hildenbrand

That's a difference of opinion, I guess. My opinion is that the OP does the exact same thing in face to face discussions. It has nothing to do with newsgroups. There's no reason to believe she's different because this is a newsgroup.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

The message from Scott Hildenbrand contains these words:

Either put some thought

Nobody gets to adulthood without learning that even simple requests like "can you give me directions " always has to be qualified with a destination. And, few internet virgins find their way to newsgroups first, before learning there are websites and search engines.

OTOH, such fecklessly inadequate queries are frequently used by trolls to stir up rows among other posters about who was rude etc.

Janet

Reply to
Janet Baraclough

It's reminiscent of a real classic from rec.food.cooking, a year or two ago.

Subject line: Can I make lasagna at home? Body of message: How?

Not a clue as to whether it wanted to know how to make the finished dish, or the noodles themselves. The OP never returned, but that didn't prevent a bunch of responses from kindhearted saps who assumed they knew what the question was.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I don't know what aspect of viticulture the OP was interested in. I think people are right that the original question was too vague. However, why not start with the assumption that the OP may be inexperienced in posting questions, rather than jumping to the conclusion that it's an attempt to stir other people up?

I like that other people have asked for more specifics. It gives the OP a chance to rephrase her original question, and also get some answers. We're here to share and learn right? Not to mock others for what they don't know.

~Tad

Reply to
Tad

And you are obtuse. I've been around grapes for 30 years, mostly the wine making end. What do you want to know?

Reply to
Billy

JSB you were a little harsh. Yes more thought could have, should have, been put into the question but give the OP a chance. We really don't know anything about him/her, could be a person who has reason to not know how to ask.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

The most highly regarded teacher in my high school was the one who would NEVER put up with a question like the OP asked. I'm in my 50s now, but ten years after graduating, I'd run into classmates now and then, and the discussion would eventually turn to that teacher, and how she taught us to think for ourselves and ask the right kinds of questions. Spoon feeding people is counterproductive for both parties involved.

By the way, if the OP was serious about the question, she could've ignored me and come up with a better question. She hasn't done that, even though she knows there are some easier people here who may help her.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

And I've taken viticulture, botany, and have 30 years of experience with wine grapes, and the OP hasn't responded to my offer either. So I guess there isn't anything happening here.

To future posters: Sometimes it takes awhile to clearly pose a question (factors that you hadn't considered, i.e. climate, soil, ect.). Don't give up when you're criticized. See if there isn't something to be learned from the criticism, and restate the question.

Reply to
Billy