Two questions- Asiatic Lilies and Persimmon trees

Hi all

I just got some Asiatic Lilies and put them in today. Very pretty plants. I was wondering, though- will they spread? There were 3 stems per pot, and I got 3 pots, and spaced them about 11 inches apart (little card said 7-9 inch spacing, but I always take that with a grain of salt).

Second question- I live in zone 6B and the soil is all sand- we're close to the ocean. How would a persimmon tree fare here? We have full sun on most of the property but there are some spots that are shaded part of the day. Any help would be appreciated.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Bump. Any help?

I have discovered that if I want persimmons, I have to plant two of the buggers.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

They will "spread", but not like daylilies. Each bulb (corm) will multiply so that in a few years your 3 stems will be more. They won't travel far from the original so if you want them to fill in an area, you'll have to transplant some of the bulbs when they form. They don't bush out, the leaves grow only along the stems so while they flowers are prettier, in my opinion, than daylilies, they don't fill in your planting area as well.

gloria p

Reply to
gloria.p

In Middle TN, they'll spread, they'll bush out (or appear bush like - I suppose that's just multiple plants.). I like them, but end up having to weed them out of places I prefer they not occupy.

Kate

Reply to
kate

I put three in last year. They are SO beautiful, I wish they would bloom longer. Two of them have made pups. I posted a question earlier about when to separate out the pups and replant them. Could somebody remind me on that? This is a mild Mediterranean climate with not much "winter" (So. Calif coastal). Do I have to wait until the leaves fall and plant "dies", or what? Would really value your experience, esp. if in similar climate.

TIA

Hypatia

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Gentle reminder: Waiting for input from people who have transplanted pups. See above message from moi, and pls. share your experience. TIA

H.

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Higgs Boson wrote: ...

i've transplanted them in almost every season except the dead of winter and most will survive if you make sure they get the right soil, water and light. some you might lose, but overall you'll have plenty survive...

the best times i think are early fall and very early spring... do half each season and compare results. :)

songbird

Reply to
songbird