Trunkless Pine Tree

I am trying to find out more about a pine tree that grew in my old neighborhood in northern Virginia. The tree appears to have no trunk. Overall, it was about 8 feet high and had rather crooked branches about

10 feet long and maybe 6 or 8 inches in diameter. It had silvery flaky bark, medium-short needles and small (about 2" long and almost that wide) pinecones. Anybody have a clue what species this might be?
Reply to
radie1969

Sounds like a Mugo pine and an old one at that. Also it sounds from your description that at some point in its life, someone may have tried to train it. They are pretty common here in Md.

Reply to
Tut3xl