trimming tulips

I'm new to tulips, so I apologise if this sounds stupid. I've read that after the plant blooms I'm supposed to trim off the dead flower so that it won't set seed, and continue to water the greenery so the bulb can prepare itself for the next season. Ok. How do I trim off the dead flower? Do I just break it off? Or should I cut it? At which point on the stalk?
Dawn
Dawn wrote:

Dawn,
It doesn't matter if you cut them off or break them off. What I do is cut or break them off just above the leave. It is important that you leave all the foliage on the plant until it turns yellow (or brown). This helps the bulb develop for next year. It is a good idea to feed your tulips right when (or shortly thereafter) they bloom. -- Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)
Digital Camera: HP PhotoSmart 850
For pictures of my garden flowers visit http://members.iglou.com/brosen
bill, your flowers are BEAUTIFUL!
--
rosie

"Bill R" <NO_WEEDS snipped-for-privacy@iglou.com> wrote in message
rosie readandpost wrote:

Rosie,
Thank you. All the pictures on my web site are, of course, from last year. I planted about 800 bulbs (tulips and such) last fall and they will be blooming next month and I will be updating my web site with new pictures.
This weekend I am going through all the flower catalogs (I got a stack at least six inches high) planning my garden for this summer. I also grow a LOT of tomatoes, most of which I start from seed.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera: HP PhotoSmart 850
i am from farther north than you (wisconsin) and we are nowhere near spring................ i look forward to more pictures in the future. i love tulips, but have moved to "deer country" and have been advised against planting them here.
--
rosie

"Bill R" <NO_WEEDS snipped-for-privacy@iglou.com> wrote in message

you can always plant narcissus. The deer DON'T eat them and there are thousands of colors and come in split cup, fragrant, species, ruffled, doubles, peach colors, pinks, yellows, creams, everything you could possibly think of. Try (donning flame proof drawers, first) Dutch Gardens, McClure &Zimmerman, Sheepers Bulbs. The varieties will amaze you, and deer find them untasty completely. I believe they don't eat Frittleria's either (those are poisonious too, to deer and those repel voles and moles with their smell underground) which would make me wonder (Paghat, some help here) if the little Frittleria's would be inedible to moles, voles and deer.
Does anyone know if deer eat Hellebore? Don't want to recommend something that deer eat......... madgardener, zone 7, East Tennessee
THANKS!
--
rosie