Triffids

Which is better, the 1963 version of "Day of the Triffids", or the 1981 British mini-series? (I haven't seen either yet, nor read the book. I do know it's not supposed to have a "happily ever after" ending.) Thanks.
Bob
--
"And I really got hot when I saw Jeanette Scott
Fight a triffid that spits poison and kills..."
zxcvbob said:

The SF, Horror and Fantasy Film Review gives the mini-series 4-1/2 stars and the 1962 movie 1-1/2 stars. http://www.moria.co.nz /
The IMDb ratings give the mini-series the edge by a fair margin (7.8/10 vs 5.8/10), though the movie has a *lot* more votes. (IMDb credits the mini-series to the Australian Broadcasting Company.) http://us.imdb.com /
I've only read the book and seen the movie (not the mini-series), both long ago. so my memory might be faulty.
The movie left out nearly everything that made the book interesting, and (though British-made) had a "Hollywood ending." (The book looked into class/socia/politicall aspects of dealing with The Crisis, the movie was more your typical pot-boiler monster movie.)
The mini-series is said to be more faithful to mood and spirit of the book. (Though, like I said, I haven't seen it.)
For gardeners with an interest in classic SF, might I recommend _Greener Than You Think_ by Joseph Ward Moore? http://www.fantasybookspot.com/node/1111
It's an end-of-the-world story where the calamity is caused by the unstoppable growth of --
    -- Bermuda grass! 8^)
(That's something those of you who live farther south than I should be able to relate to!)

After enlightenment, the laundry.

Reminds me of Ice-Nine from Cats Cradle.
<http://www.technovelgy.com/ct/content.asp?BnumA5
Technological fixes with unseen results.
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Book was good when I was 13. The movie was bad even then (especially the altered ending- very different from the book). Never saw the miniseries.
Chris

I haven't watched the old movie in twenty years but I liked it as a "bad movie night" feature to watch with friends who like bad movies in order to make jokes about everything stupid that happens.
The mini-series I got from netflix only about two months ago. It is cheaply done and the triffids look like big plastic pitcher plants. Well enough acted, sufficiently suspenseful, nothing great, but compared to the feature film, way better than that, you won't just want to be making fun of it.
The book of course is better than either film by far, but Wyndham's short stories are better still.
-paghat the ratgirl
--
visit my temperate gardening website:
http://www.paghat.com