Tree planted in container?

I bought a weeping birch to plant in my small yard next to my pond. I don't want it to get too big and don't want the roots to go into my pond liner. I planted it in a 10 gallon container. Will this stunt the growth (which is what I want) or kill the tree?
Mike C wrote:

This will tend to stunt the tree.
For best results, the container should breathe through the sides (e.g., a large clay or terra cotta pot). This is especially important if the sun shines on it; otherwise, the roots might cook.
The potting mix should drain well but retain moisture; that is, it should always be wet without ever being soggy. See my <http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_potting_mix.html for a home-made mix; for a birch, slightly increase the peat moss and descrease the sand.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean