Tree Cutting

Hello, I have a tree in my front yard that seems to be growing just fine except on the very top. It looks like it's completely dead while the rest of the tree is green. If I was to saw the top of the tree down would that cause problems/damage the tree? Is there a special way to saw the dead part without causing damage? Any information would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.
Shane

What is your location, and the species of the tree? Might best be a job for a certified arborist.

Sounds like my white birch that gets a bit too much water... I just leave the few dead portions to fall of their own volition, kind of a steady storm of twigs. I see no reason you couldn't lop off the dead top portion, if you can reach up there, maybe a pole pruner, I can't reach mine, it's like 30 feet up... you have nothing to lose, just don't get hurt, wear a hard hat.

Yes, hire a pro who is insured and bonded unless you can take the dead wood out of the tree with a lopper while standing flat footed on the ground. Wood is heavy, and if you don't know how to control the fall, you can wind up really badly hurt.
Even if you know what you're doing and have the proper safety equipment, you can be badly hurt: <http://blog.oregonlive.com/breakingnews/2007/09/thirtyfoot_ fall_critically_inj.html>
Hiring it done is much cheaper than a trip to the ER or a few sessions of physical therapy.
Kay
symplastless said:

How about not posting/replying in the sig?
--

Eggs

-I started out with nothing... I still have most of it.

My thoughts egg-zactly ;->
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Ann said:

=)
--

Eggs

-A little bit of pain never hurt anyone
Sounds like woody root problems causing the dieback..
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning/index.html
Sincerely, John A. Keslick, Jr. Consulting Arborist http://home.ccil.org/~treeman and www.treedictionary.com Beware of so-called tree experts who do not understand tree biology. Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding us that we are not the boss.