Transplanting Lily of the Valley

Can it be done? and how?
zone 5a/5b Ontario Canada. Currently have under a magnolia tree 21 started shoots of Lily of the valley. Spaced about 6 inches/15 cm apart.
I have in another part of my property lily of the valley that is really starting to self grow to the point where I have to cut it back. It really took off in that part this spring. So I would like to transplant another 20 shoots to under that magnolia tree.
Can it be done?

Of course it can be done, we gave some to neighbors years back and they did fine.
Just dig em out and plant them somewhere else.
--
Dan Espen

Hench wrote:

yes, easily, use a shovel and dig up chunks of it, the bigger the chunk you can move the better, try to keep the root/rhizome/dirt chunk together as much as possible when moving. water in after moving.
if you have a source that you are regularly cutting back, use that edge as a source, you can probably get more plugs than you'll ever need.
songbird
On 5/26/2013 2:08 AM, songbird wrote:

Do I wait until a certain time of year though? Do they have to bloom first?

No, just dig em up and move them. You're trying to over think this.
--
Dan Espen

Yup, probably the easist plant to replant, can be replanted any time so long as the ground ain't frozen solid... just think carefully WHERE... lily of the valley is very invasive.
On 5/26/2013 9:03 AM, Dan Espen wrote:

Understood :)