tobacco lovers

do you know which indoor plant likes tobacco smoke? my mother is smoking all the time and my indoor plants are nto happy with it :) any ideas?
nobody knows?

She should smoke outside or not at all. Even plants know polluted air when they transpire it.

so tell me about it :)

Possibly the creosote plant: See http://medplant.nmsu.edu/Diseases/cancer/cancer.html
KW

I dont have any problem with tobacco and my indoor plants. Ingrid

I've found that marijuana does pretty well.

:)

BetsyB
"K." < snipped-for-privacy@email.hinet.hr> wrote in message

TMV in tobacco smoke can infect various plants, mainly those in the nightshade family (Solanaceae), such as tomatoes and petunias (which aren't typical houseplants anyway), but also many others. Small white tile-like patches would indicate that this is a problem.
Other tobacco smoke constituents are not especially harmful to plants, though they are so harmful to humans that it would be a Good Thing to do everything you could to encourage her to quit; but if she insists on smoking anyway, houseplants will help clean the air somewhat.
--
Chris Green

thank you

burning destroys the virus. dont handle tobacco and then handle plants in the nightshade family. Ingrid

snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.xx.com wrote in message

No, there's some viable virus that escaped incineration in the smoke. The crystalline virus is unusually heat-stable, and viable TMV in smoke has been reported.
But the main route of transmission is the hands: if you touch tobacco or anything containing tobacco, wash hands carefully before handling plants, and expect some infection to get through anyway.
--
Chris Green

> >TMV in tobacco smoke can infect various plants, mainly those in the
I would like to see data from research not funded by the Am. Lung. Ass. that says this. Even the prion that causes mad cow disease is destroyed by burning and that protein is highly resistant to high temperatures like in cooking which is not enough to destroy it. Ingrid