The Future of Agriculture and the Importance of Developing Our Skills and Knowledge Base

"David Hare-Scott" expounded:

I'm happy you found it interesting, I find the whole thing fascinating. I'm on grass farming now, and Joe Salatin (hope I spelled that right).

This book is an education for anyone about industrial food systems. And believe you me, that's what many of us eat, industrial food. Even if we think we're eating organic......

Reply to
Ann

Just curious: Can't you get good fabric remnants in high-end fabric shops? But maybe not enough for a shirt...?

Reply to
Persephone

Good rant Farml. The Communist Manifesto seems so quaint by todays standards. Since we acquiesced to the Bush Putsch, the fascist forces have elected Merkel, Sarkozy, Brown, Harper, and your own John Howard. This is going to be difficult to turn around as most of the candidates for the American Presidency want to continue the eternal war on terrorism, i.e. those opposed to corporate rule of the world.

Reply to
Billy

The only fabric I found of the quality I wanted was

No unfortunately. The best fabric shop round here closed down when one of those cheap fabric chains moved in full of Chinese and really shoddy quality fabric. The remaining 2 reasonable shops don't have a big range so it's like Henry Foord's Model Ts - any colour so long as it's the colour they have it in. I wanted good old fashioned pure white high quality fibre. Nada! To find it I'd probably have to go to Sydney whihc is about 4 hours away and then pay for accommodation, hunt around diverse locations to find whichever shop does quality these days - it's just easier to give up. I still remember teh fabric my mother bought in the '50s - beautiful Swiss cottons, Irish linen etc. Sigh.

Reply to
FarmI

Yes, his style is good, but I don't recognise the environment he's describing, (as in fast food, following food fabs, buying diet books, corn) so it isn't as appealing to me.

The analysis of corn in

Could be, but I think I'd be getting it on interlibrary loan if at all. I find that now we are well and truly 'retired' from paid employment, our food habits are simple and quite like those of my parents or grandparents - home cooked, home prepared etc. We never climb into the car to go on a long drive without the picnic basket and these days I couldn't even be bothered with restaurants unless we go to a big family 'do'. I even tend to avouid big supermarkets till I need to stock up on cleaning/toot paper etc - can't stand the crowds or queues these days so I get there at the crack of dawn if I can.

Reply to
FarmI

snip rant

:-))

Since we acquiesced to the Bush Putsch, the fascist forces

An interesting development here has been that the top man in Australian policing, has recently said that the biggest threat to Australia's future security is global warming. This has upset Howard a great deal as he says it's terrorism. I agree with the cop's assessment.

Reply to
FarmI

On the other hand, American corporations have embraced the weather and figured out how to make money on the misery of its' displaced masses in New Orleans by replacing low cost housing (and the communities that they were part of) with condos, and replacing public schools (and the attendant loss of teachers) with charter schools. Did I mention that this displacement of people was displacement of "black" skinned people? Bad on me. It's called ETHNIC CLEANSING. Sort of like having our very own Israel in our very own back yard. In any event, when those proud condo owners move in, they won't have to see many people of color in "their" neighborhoods, just lots of peckerwoods like themselves.

Global warming will offer more such opportunities.

As far as terrorism is concerned, America would get more "bang" for its' buck by providing clean water and water treatment to the developing world, instead of trying to bomb them into peace.

But then there isn't as much profit in building "stealth" water pipes as there is in building "stealth" bombers.

Anybody awake out there?

Reply to
Billy

Heh heh.......nice to see you here in the belly of the beast, Bill. Commondreams is a great place to spend some time. Great articles, and good commentary following. Enough good news there to drive anyone back to drink.

Hang out at alternet a bit also for more cheery stuff.

Charlie, listening to Moby......"Extreme Ways"...really, really loud.

Reply to
Charlie

Yes.

Reply to
Charlie

Hubris it may be, but chance favors the prepared mind, or so someone has said.

Tryin' to make some decisions about which way to go. Thinking about a fair part of my limited space on some things to beef up my seed vault... amaranth, quinoa, squash, other grain crops. Problem with squash is the space requirement and the distance requirement ot prevent cross pollination.

Yeah, we'll do this discussion sometime.

Yeah, fat chance that. We will only get more, or much more, of the same, if we even have elections.

Margaritas.......feh......waste of good tequila.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

You wouldn't believe some of the comments you hear from US residents about a a great number of deadly issues.......it's frightening and sad. We are in a world of hurt here, and it isn't looking better, day by day. From your other post is sounds as if Oz is headed down the same path.

Small people......I assume you mean grands and I have two and another due in thirty days. We give them all of ourselves that we can while we still can. They are the the main reason for my fears now......I'm not going there now, but I am sure you know what I mean.

What is the Grandpa Book? Never mind......I just looked it up and it sounds like one I need to get.......thank you.

Phooey..........you caught yourself before I could make some wise-ass remark. ;-)

Care Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

I thought on this remark, about all politics being local, and perhaps Clinton was being more honest than appears on the surface. Past the local level, it becomes business, just another part of the corporatocracy....which might be defined as fascism. Even so at the local level, oftimes. In the US, regardless of how anyone counters, national politics is business and the beneficiaries are seldom the "common" constituents.

Follow the money.

Care Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Hey...we dragged the Ozzites into our stupid war. Their guvmint's even putting the same stuff in the kool-aid to get their subjects to believe the war's a great thing.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Thanks for the article....nothing new to me. If you ever get the chance, you should really see one of these feedlot operations.

Same for a CAFO hog operation. Or poultry operation.

I've seen, been through, and smelled/smelled of, all three.

You won't give Tyson another dime.

That stuff isn't meat, Billy.

Disgustedly Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

You're right as usual Charlie. It is pure misery to the poor critter that gets caught in it.

But the article wasn't for them what knows but for them that don't know. All life has a value beyond $$$$$.

Reply to
Billy

I would believe it, I've read quite a few of them and probably argued about the dopier comments too. :-))

It is heading off to a place that doesn't please me, but it seems as if there is finally an emergence from the years of slumber. We have an election imminent and all the polls are suggesting that the government is in major difficulty. It seems to me that people have just turned off and are no longer listening to anything the government has to say. I'm not convinced the alternative government will be any better than the current lot but at least a change might be heading in the right direction.

Yep.

My ankle biter is about to turn 2 and I think that he will grow out of these books by Todd Parr very soon, but it is a good learning book for teaching who is grandpa, granma, Mum, Dad etc. He likes to have them read over and over again. I'll be delighted when he wants a real story that won't bore me stupid.

Nyah, nyah, nyah nyah nyah!! :-))

Thanks Charlie Fran

Reply to
FarmI

Actually that is not quite right. Before the Iraq war, the opinion polls in Oz were 65% AGAINST the war whereas in the US it was about the same percentage FOR the war. Our PM made the decision to send troops off in the face of strong local opposition and that opposition has hardened more but not hugely for the time that our troops have been a way. Our PM, who is quite cunning sometimes, also obviously realised that body bags were not a good look for him so he only sent a very few troops (IIRC it's in the order of about 1200 troops) and made sure that they were in a relatively safe area of Iraq. That way, he could be seen to be supporting our allies but wasn't running too great a risk. Bush can still claim that the US has an ally in Oz but given that our contribution is so small, he's obviously desperate to continue to have any allies.

Reply to
FarmI

I decided it was about time I checked my attribution and it was Tip O'Neill who apparently said it, but given that it is such a good quote it wouldn't surprise me if Clinton used it too. Can't remember where I got it from now.

Past the

Yep. But also, if you are a politician at the national level (as opposed to the municipal level) what is considered 'local' is of rather a higher plane.

Reply to
FarmI

What a concept: Using 1200 of other people's kids to paint a nice political picture. No wonder world leaders love to lick each other so much.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom